Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Funny random stuff

What causes this?

Somebody posted a post further back a given thread with some French in it, so google translate (default=ON in chrome for me) translates all “French” words. Peter translates to “to fart” (does it really?) and Gallois translates to Welsh.

And here is another, showing the top level of British literacy, this time from an email sent to millions of customers:

Not just one mistake; this is elsewhere in the email. Lloyds is a sh*it bank anyway…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

It does. I will never read your posts the same way again
Other meanings are ‘to break, burst or explode’ (transitive verb), e.g. péter les plombs (‘to blow a fuse’, literally and figuratively)
or ‘to break something’ (transitive reflexive verb) e.g. se péter la geule (to smash one’s face)

EGHO-LFQF-KCLW, United Kingdom

In all fairness the rules for the combination of apostrophe, plurals, and words that end in S are terminally confusing. I’m pretty sure that this example is incorrect, but I think the following is correct: “Many businesses’ statements are online”.

The sooner we just forget the apostrophe altogether, the better.

Last Edited by johnh at 07 Nov 09:41
LFMD, France

johnh wrote:

I’m pretty sure that this example is incorrect

Hmm… Not a native speaker, but I can justify it.

• “your business statements” is grammatically “your statements” with an adjective “business” that qualifies “statements”
  • “your business’ statements” is grammatically “the statements of your business” expressed as a genitive. Like e.g. “your customer’s statements”, “your neighbour’s statements”, etc
ELLX

Yes I can see this was their line of thinking but it is 100% wrong in actual usage over here.

Many businesses’ statements are online

That would be correct, when the plural of “business” is involved.

What makes me laugh is not the individual mistake. It is the huge vast enormous failure of the “corporation”. It is like when a major daily newspaper gets a type in a front page headline. Just think of how many people must have seen it…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

“your business’ statements” is grammatically “the statements of your business” expressed as a genitive

The proper way to do that is “your business’s statements…” – i.e. you add the apostrophised genitive ending. Whereas when the noun is plural (and ends in s) then you can put the apostrophe afterwards. But honestly, how many people actually know that?

And for plurals that don’t end in s? Oxen? Men, women, children? Who knows?

LFMD, France

Don’t you just add an apostrophe and an s.
Ie men’s, women’s, children’s?
But what would I know?

France

Ie men’s, women’s, children’s?

For sure. Not sure about oxen though.

Last Edited by johnh at 07 Nov 12:26
LFMD, France

True. I can’t think of a posessive noun that would follow a herd of oxes or oxen so should it be ox’s hooves or oxen’s hooves when talking of the group of oxes/oxen?
Always knew English was difficult. French should be the international language of aviation.🤣

Last Edited by gallois at 07 Nov 12:35
France

gallois wrote:

French should be the international language of aviation.

We would all struggle with French numbers

LDZA LDVA, Croatia
Sign in to add your message