Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Ramp check stories and reports (all causes)

Ibra wrote:

Why the FCC pilot paper would be a thing for Germans cutoms to check?

Doesn’t sound like this had anything to do with customs, but was rather a regulator inspection…. at least that is what I understand by ramp check. Customs don’t care about pilot licences or how well the goods are fixed in the aircraft.

LSZK, Switzerland

Snoopy wrote:

FCC radio license is required to fly internationally on FAA pilot certificate.

Yes I agree but as everybody know only because FAA pilot certificates do not have a radio operator certificate attached to them, unlike most ICAO PPL, if one has a valid radio operator certificate one can please UK Ofcom (not that this argument would wing a custom officer at 2pm with 40C deg )

Ok, along those lines, does one need an FAA CFI to instruct on N-reg if they cross international borders, say one has an EASA FI & FAA61.75?

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Snoopy wrote:

You need an FCC radio license when flying an N-reg internationally, that’s the info I have.

Yes. See penultimate reply to Ibra in post #52 to the thread FCC radio telephone operators permit / radio station license
ITU Radio Regulations
Article 37

No. 37.1: The service of every aircraft station and every aircraft earth station shall be
controlled by an operator holding a certificate issued or recognized by the government to which the
station is subject. Provided the station is so controlled, other persons besides the holder of the
certificate may use the radiotelephone equipment.

CFR Title 47: Telecommunication
PART 87—AVIATION SERVICES
Subpart C—Operating Requirements and Procedures
§87.89 Minimum operator requirements.
(a) A station operator must hold a commercial radio operator license or permit, except as listed in paragraph (d).

(d) No operator license is required to:

(4) Operate a VHF telephony transmitter providing domestic service or used on domestic flights.

See above post for FCC contacts for an interpretation if required.

Ibra wrote:

Ok, along those lines, does one need an FAA CFI to instruct on N-reg if they cross international borders, say one has an EASA FI & FAA61.75?

That deserves a separate thread. The Chief Counsel opinion given 3 Aug 2017 to W W Grannis narrowly interprets the student instruction exemption in Part 119 as meaning flight training towards a rating or certificate under Part 61. However, under CUSMA a Canadian may without being the holder of a US instructor certificate give flight instruction in a US-registered civil aircraft in Canada.

Edited to add that post #10 in the thread European FI/FE in the US further addresses this.

Last Edited by Qalupalik at 01 Sep 14:04
London, United Kingdom

Ibra wrote:

unlike most ICAO PPL

EASA perhaps, but don’t know about the rest of the ICAO world. A lot of countries have a separate Communications authority that tests and issues the restricted radio operator certificate. One example beside the US is Canada and I believe but am not certain also Australia and New Zealand.

LSZK, Switzerland

Qalupalik wrote:

That deserves a separate thread. The Chief Counsel opinion given 3 Aug 2017 to W W Grannis narrowly interprets the student instruction exemption in Part 119 as meaning flight training towards a rating or certificate under Part 61. However, under CUSMA a Canadian may without being the holder of a US instructor certificate give flight instruction in a US-registered civil aircraft in Canada.

Edited to add that post #10 in the thread European FI/FE in the US further addresses this.

As always thanks !

chflyer wrote:

A lot of countries have a separate Communications authority that tests and issues the restricted radio operator certificate. One example beside the US is Canada and I believe but am not certain also Australia and New Zealand.

Would be interesting to know how that works when revalidating or converting an PPL
Most routes tends to involve LAW/HPL exams and hand-on flying than RT conversions (having to do an RT exam in the local language or local accent will be tough for a foreigner )

Last Edited by Ibra at 01 Sep 15:08

We did that one before. Not sure if a new thread is worth merging, etc.

Anyone can start a new thread, of course

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

The ‘English Proficient’ is on the back side of the FAA license which is plastic credit-card style. No convoluted reams of paper as the EASA ones, so to miss this your eyesight has to be such that you wont get a medical…

The FAA automatically issued these new plastic licenses some 10-15 years ago. I think (but am not sure) that the old paper licenses are not valid anymore.

Both the airplane and the pilot need a radio license to operate an N-reg aircraft outside the US.
- the airplane needs a radio station license (this was abolished within the US some time in the 90s)
- the pilot needs the FCC license, which is a paperwork (and some money, IIRC $60) exercise

Last Edited by 172driver at 01 Sep 16:10

172driver wrote:

- the pilot needs the FCC license, which is a paperwork (and some money, IIRC $60) exercise

I’d like to get one for my 61.75. Any pointers?

always learning
LO__, Austria

Snoopy wrote:

I’d like to get one for my 61.75. Any pointers?

Fairly described in Peter website, it’s online PDF now !
http://www.peter2000.co.uk/aviation/faa-nreg/docs.html

Peter wrote:

nd the FAA reissued the green plastic cards automatically, maybe 10 years ago, specificially to include the ELP phrase.

Although I think you had to fill in an (online) form for it to happen – at least, that’s my recollection.

Andreas IOM
Sign in to add your message