Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Ramp check stories and reports (all causes)

I carry a folder with copies of, or including, the following documents:

1. Certificate of Registration

2. Certificate of Airworthiness

3. Radio Station Authorisation

4. Weight and Balance

5. Pilot’s Operating Handbook

6. Noise Certificate

7. Insurance Certificate

8. Evidence of VAT paid

9. Annual release

Plus licence and medical. That seems to do the trick.

NeilC
EGPT, LMML

Don’t forget interception procedures

EGBW, United Kingdom

I have the N-reg list here. It is more complex for N-regs because both the aircraft and the pilot needs their own separate radio licenses. Also there is no “release to service”…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

denopa wrote:

“Having non 8.33 radios” vs “Not having 8.33 radios” I guess.

I fear that Airborne_Again means exactly what he wrote. Right, A_A ?

huv
EKRK, Denmark

Peter wrote:

Also there is no “release to service”…

Yes there is. What do you have after maintenance?

EGTK Oxford

no-one has ever asked me for interception proceddures on a ramp check in Europe

NeilC
EGPT, LMML

Norad Interception Procedures Quick Summary

always learning
LO__, Austria

If somebody asked me to produce a “release to service” I’d have no idea what to show them. On an N-registered aircraft like Peter’s (I can’t speak for others) a mechanic does not “release the aircraft for service” as part performing maintenance, and is not legally qualified to do so. The aircraft is never removed from service.

As a side note, the only documents I carry on board my US-based aircraft are the C of A and registration, plus a reduced scale copy of the POH for the plane that has one – the other was built before there was such a thing. I also carry my pilot certificate, 3rd class medical certificate and drivers license in my wallet all the time, flying or not. I’ve never been asked to show any of the above to anybody.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 07 Oct 23:54

huv wrote:

I fear that Airborne_Again means exactly what he wrote. Right, A_A ?

Yes, and that is backed up by Jesse’s posting that I linked to. He also wrote that the Dutch authorities tried to prevent him from leaving an non-8.33 radio in a SE-reg aircraft after making an 8.33 installation. They only relented after the Swedish CAA wrote that it was perfectly in line with regulations.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

If somebody asked me to produce a “release to service” I’d have no idea what to show them. On an N-registered aircraft like Peter’s (I can’t speak for others) a mechanic does not “release the aircraft for service” as part performing maintenance, and is not legally qualified to do so. The aircraft is never removed from service.

Exactly.

In any case, does anyone have a reference stating that proof of maintenance (and exactly what maintenance?) is required to be carried? On an EASA-reg, the 50hr check (or whatever period is in your approved schedule) is as legally mandatory as the Annual, plus possibly a 10% extension.

Aircraft document carriage thread

He also wrote that the Dutch authorities tried to prevent him from leaving an non-8.33 radio in a SE-reg aircraft after making an 8.33 installation.

There will always be someone who wears a uniform but doesn’t know the regs The problem is that usually they carry a gun so you are not in a great position to educate them…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message