Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Hello from a freshly minted Pilot (PPL)

Bobo wrote:

Juist, Wangerooge and Langenooge

Just checked these airports out, great geography! Well its should be within reach DUS next summer. Thank you for the tips.Patrick wrote:

maybe see you around in the Düsseldorf area sometime soon

Sure, will pm you in the next weeks, to pick your brain on your recommendations. Hope it is alright with you.

Germany

Congratulations on your PPL and your imminent motherhood.
Do try to get in some long distance international trips as soon as you can. This will help give you the confidence going forward to really exercise the privileges that the licence bestows on you.
Europe has so much to offer and it is so much more accessible by air!

Forever learning
EGTB

Hello and welcome, acquilinus!
I see there are many similarities between us. I am also in my thirties and did my PPL rather recently (July 2017), also over a longer period (nearly 2 years, starting in October 2015) and also on an Aquila A210/211. My two children were both born during this period, and I can tell you as an expectant parent that your kid will probably be the biggest obstacle in flying as much as you might want to for the forseeable future. But do not worry, you just have to manage your expectations.

Reading EuroGA can be dangerous in this respect, insofar as there are a lot of very active, very good and very well-equipped owner pilots on here. As a low-hours pilot like myself one can get envious or even frustrated when reading about all the cool things the others seem to be doing all the time, but it can also be quite inspiring.

acquilinus wrote:

And even now I don’t have the language rating for German entered on my PPL and am figuring out how to go about it. You’re right, it feels good have persisted!
How come? How did you get your PPL in Germany without a German LP? While most airfields here do have someone on the radio who speaks basic English, sometimes quite decent, not having a German R/T formally does limit your available destinations quite a bit.

Last Edited by MedEwok at 28 Sep 20:48
Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

but it can also be quite inspiring.

That is the objective! And everyone is welcome

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

MedEwok wrote:

How come? How did you get your PPL in Germany without a German LP? While most airfields here do have someone on the radio who speaks basic English, sometimes quite decent, not having a German R/T formally does limit your available destinations quite a bit.

I also don’t have a German LP in my licence either, but I do have a BZF 1. The issue is that the LBA requires you to make a declaration that, for the first 12 years of your life, you were raised in a country with a German as your native language or you were educated in a school with German as the primary language – with this declaration you get an automatic level 6. Being British born and bred, I couldn’t make such a declaration so I don’t have such an LP for German because, when I last asked, the LBA didn’t have tests to assess the level of proficiency. In any case, they require ‘a language proficiency for the country you are flying in or in English’ – as I have one for English – level 6 – I’m ok to fly in Germany and land at DE only fields. After all, just because we don’t have an LP, doesn’t mean we don’t speak German

EDL*, Germany

Steve6443 wrote:

After all, just because we don’t have an LP, doesn’t mean we don’t speak German

Nooo, you got to be kidding I thought the whole point of this LP was to speak English, as in “formal aviation English”. What use is a German LP?

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Hello Everybody,

I have read quite a few forum posts in both German and English and there seems to be no clear message on FCT.050. However it is amply clear that as long as one has BZF I, one is allowed to communicate in English and German.

Steve6443 wrote:

when I last asked, the LBA didn’t have tests to assess the level of proficiency.

After a friendly chat with someone in Local Luftfahrtamt, I gleaned information to the extent that within Germany I would not face any problems but on the slightest of chances it might be picked up in German speaking parts of neighbouring countries (here again no written rules just anecdotes). That being said, there is now LP test for German level 6 which I plan to take it up so that I can put this out of my mind.

Will keep you all posted how this goes.

Thank you for the tips!

MedEwok wrote:

As a low-hours pilot like myself one can get envious or even frustrated when reading about all the cool things the others seem to be doing all the time, but it can also be quite inspiring.

True, but in the last few months this forum has helped in inspiring me to make that final push to finish my PPL and has convinced me that I want own a plane when time and money permits. Until then, nose to the Grindwheel to earn privilege of flying rented birds…

Germany

MedEwok wrote:

Reading EuroGA can be dangerous in this respect, insofar as there are a lot of very active, very good and very well-equipped owner pilots on here. As a low-hours pilot like myself one can get envious or even frustrated when reading about all the cool things the others seem to be doing all the time, but it can also be quite inspiring.

Same here
But usually, weather takes care of reducing your flying to a reasonable amount

LFOU, France

Hello Everybody, last week I got my German Language Proficiency Level 6!!! Next is english!

Germany

Based on your other writing here, you should just be a bit more ambitious and go straight for level 7

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message