Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

How are you navigating?

I have no GPS and use aircraft not equipped. So I fly with paper charts and a watch. If I have to avoid a restricted area, I try to find somthing on the chart which I’ll be able to spot from the sky marking the limit of the R-zone. For exemple, a town I must have on my left to be on the safe side. I always fly with a detailled flight log with all frequencies I’ll need during the flight, ETE between waypoints, altitudes, heading, VOR QDM or QDR, bearings from ground stations etc…, a sketch of the pattern at arrival with the runway(s) and the winsocks. I need 20 to 30 mn to prepare it for a 1 hr flight. Double it for a 2 hours flight. I also have the 1/500000chart and the airport plate.

SE France

Expect a little bit of headwind (in the provervbial sense) for that here and there…
Many people would say that in today’s airspace, it is unwise and even irresponsible to fly VFR cross country without a decent moving map GPS

Even more since I guess you are referring to France… However, it certainly depends a bit on where in France…

Last Edited by boscomantico at 02 Feb 08:59
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

While I REALLY like it that not everybody is only staring at moving maps and holds up the fine art of dead reckoning navigation – I do not see myself doing that EVER again. As a “sport” or a “mental challenge” it might be fun to do that … but for flying airplanes from A to B I see no point in using old methods when new (and much better) methods exist.

It’s not only much easier to use a moving map GPS, it’s also safer in today’s complex airspaces – and most of all it gives you the time to really enjoy the flight, look out, take photos.

I think in general that the trick in the UK is to be as high as possible. It seems to me that your chances of being dumped are inversely proportional to altitude.

In the jet our problem is getting them to understand we are happy to leave controlled airspace, which we often do by descent. They tend to want us to add many track miles to stay in controlled airspace.

One of the biggest issues is that the always seem to want to descend you too early, OR leave it unfeasible late (although that is rare)

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

In the jet our problem is getting them to understand we are happy to leave controlled airspace, which we often do by descent. They tend to want us to add many track miles to stay in controlled airspace.

Yes, even in a piston, I also made that experience in France and, to some degree, in Italy. I then often tell them that I’d be happy with OCAS if that allows a shortcut, but occasionally they do not quite understand…

Last Edited by boscomantico at 02 Feb 10:58
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

And of course on every departure they keep us too low too long :-(

Last Edited by Neil at 02 Feb 13:21
Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

Expect a little bit of headwind (in the provervbial sense) for that here and there…
Many people would say that in today’s airspace, it is unwise and even irresponsible to fly VFR cross country without a decent moving map GPS…
Even more since I guess you are referring to France… However, it certainly depends a bit on where in France…

The fact is that up to now, I never got lost. I would probably find it easier to use a GPS if I did it, but since I don’t have one, and have never used one, I simply don’t miss it.
You’re right, I never left France in an aircraft I was flying. Therefore my longest cross country flights were not much above 2h30. I flew in most parts of France and learnt to fly in an area (near Strasbourg) where there are plenty of military R zones, though.

Also, flying this way keeps me busy in the aircraft. I never get bored, even when I fly over some flatland where everything looks the same and there is no scenery to look at. I have to check now and then where I am, find the next waypoint, etc… I must also say that the french half million charts are really great and it is fairly easy to follow your route using them, in my opinion.

SE France

I am with M. Thierry – my only airspace bust, minor, I was talking to Cambridge and clipped their ATZ. It was while using a moving map (albeit a strictly black and white 196). I decided to revert to half mill and ded reckoning, for low level VFR.

I know the Cambridge area well, and the lesson, at least for me, is that it is too easy to go in brainfart mode if you rely on moving maps. I also enjoy maintaining the skill of ded reckoning. I do hope I am not being irresponsible!

On airways I flew mainly on steam guages, but certainly appreciate the improved situational awareness of glass cockpits.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

I fly 100% on moving map (SkyDemon) until I´ve learned the “outside” world locations – this is when flying in local area or on “usual” A-B-A routes. Instead of spending my time on figuring out DR, I spend time on understanding the airspace structure that my route takes me through. I fly light aircraft to enjoy it and a great part of that is staying outside the windows observing the magnificent planet. Skydemon provides almost all the data and information I deem necessary during the planning and execution phases for a VFR/VMC flight – and it surely does the calculations more precisely than I ever could.
I still believe that new pilots should be taught DR and learn navigating via paper maps and charts – but they should additionally be taught the benefits and (importantly) pitfalls.

Socata Rally MS.893E
Portugal
99 Posts
Sign in to add your message