Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

How big a job is it to replace a 24 year old KMA 24 audio panel with something like a P.S. Engineering PMA 8000BT?

That indeed makes things much easier, thanks for the clarification Anton! I which they would be a bit clearer here in regard to feature differentiation.

Germany

@slider, VOX (voice-activated intercom) and speech recognition in the audio panel are two totally different things: the former recognises the mere presence of voice, the latter recognises the command words you say (which is implemented in Garmin GMA350). PMA7000 has the former, the function excluded from CS-STAN is the latter.

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

I was recently offered a PMA7000 with paperwork for free basically, but it looks like there is no way to replace the KMA24 in our TB-10 legally, CS-STAN CS-SC003d explicitly forbids automatic speech recognition which is the primary selling point of the PMA7000.

Looks like we’ll have to stick with the current one or eventually rewire and use a Garmin.

Germany

Quote PS Engineering supply crimp pins, but you can solder them if you want. Crimp tools have come down in price, think China, look eBay, Alibaba.
Simon

There is a reason that PS engineering supplies crimp connectors and this is because solder connections are less reliable and take longer to make.

For a cheap job soldering or using cheap crimping pliers may save a few $ but it builds in unreliability that is likely to cost $$$$$$ to fix.

So at the end of the day my $3k crimping pliers with all the correct attachments and the reliability they bring are likely to be less expensive than the trouble shooting a problem in an avionic rack.

There is an old Arab proverb that says “ cheap is not so cheap”

@Howard @Vref :
How did this story end ?

EBST, Belgium

PS Engineering supply crimp pins, but you can solder them if you want. Crimp tools have come down in price, think China, look eBay, Alibaba.
Simon

This thread will really impress your new Tinder date

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

You will probably have to use a crimper like the tool on the right. It is a cheap universal model, but a ratcheting type with the correct Molex dies (EDP 11-01-0203, CR6115B) would be better. Also save yourself trouble by using a double-action wire stripper (left). You can download the installation manual.

Incidentally a friend has a TB20-like panel in his homebuilt which he wired himself with the help of a friend. Guess where they used to work.

Simon

Last Edited by simon32 at 11 Jul 08:40

Anyone can work on an N-reg under the supervision of an A&P. Same on EASA-reg; anyone can work on it under the supervision of an EASA66.

On N-reg, avionics installations are classified as “airframe” so no formal radio qualification is required.

So you can do it yourself if you know an A&P.

See here

The installed job, if done under an STC (which is how most European N-reg work is done these days) needs an inspection by an A&P/IA who then signs the 337 and that is posted to Oklahoma. If there is no STC for your specific airframe then you have three options:

• Field Approval (very hard to do from Europe) + 337
  • DER 8110 design package to support the 337 (expensive)
  • treat it as a Minor Alteration (may well be possible)

Some dumb avionics shops flatly don’t want to work on a TB20 because they are too dumb to know which ones have or don’t have the two front inspection covers which make the job much easier. But you may be able to do it entirely from the centre stack, if you pull out some other boxes above/below for access. Most avionics shops are wiremen only… I have been around this block several times. But as you say they are currently printing money doing 8.33 work.

Depending on where you are, I might know an A&P/IA.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I have contacted some avionics shops in Europe and nobody wants to work on a TB20, they either say they have no time or quote well in excess of $5,000 for installation costs only. It seems everybody is changing their radios to 8.33kzh spacing and all the shops are busy doing this and couldn’t care less about a simple audio panel…

It’s frustrating and I think the job is simple enough so I can do it myself (just a few pins to solder from a connector to another). However, I don’t know if any FAA inspector can later certify the work.

I wonder if it needs an STC or is it considered a major modification under FAA?

LRIA, Romania
36 Posts
Sign in to add your message