Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

How Do GA Aircraft Crashes Impact You

I agree with that article. I’ve read hundreds of accident reports and have not yet seen one where I thought that I might have made that mistake. The nearest I got to crashing was in 2004 when – flying VFR in IMC – I was using the “Swiss ICAO” charts with a mix of feet and metre elevations. The aircraft itself is also an issue, with a fairly assured engine stoppage at -15C in IMC and the TB20 is not the only one (DA42 will do it too); you have to use alternate air.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

In the DA42 and DA40, in cloud, I would be using alternate air long before it got to minus 16.
It would also depend on the fuel I was using.

France

In the DA42 and DA40, in cloud, I would be using alternate air long before it got to minus 16.

Anything below +4 and visible moist is alternate air on.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Most accident reports are worthless unless you look at trends or on pilot/mission/type aggregates, at single level they explain accident but they don’t predict them, you can have same aircraft and conditions, one will be fatal and one is not !

I think the article points to something interesting at the end, one has to invest in training, planing and maintenance, the rest is mostly noise and has to be accepted as it is…roughly: 5 in 100kh you will bend it and 1 in 100kh you will die, you may control that by a factor of 0.1 to 10 depending on aircraft, skill, conditions and luck

As long as you fly regularly, use long runways, lot of fuel and use all altitude above things will be fine

gallois wrote:

I would be using alternate air long before it got to minus 16.

Even when going from inside clouds in positive temps to outside clouds in negative temps you have to use alternate air in JetA DA40/42, the air filter is highly dense (as dirt cloggs injectors and fiddles with FADEC), when it gets wet and cold it will stop, I think in some Avgas burners suffer from frozen fuel issues as well (even twins), this is unlikely in JetA Diamonds, the fuel & glows are always pre-heated but the air intake is likely to get stuck and under alternate air may result in funky run if air is unfiltered

Last Edited by Ibra at 21 Oct 10:19
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom
64 Posts
Sign in to add your message