Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

How do I know if my Txpdr is ES

Thanks, NCYankee, for all that information.

I’ve also got a TAS600 installed so I think I’ll upgrade my GTX330 to ES for ADSB Out and wait for the ADS-B In upgrade by Avidyne.

Spending too long online
EGTF Fairoaks, EGLL Heathrow, United Kingdom

NCYankee – great informative post as usual

I think I’ll upgrade my GTX330 to ES for ADSB Out and wait for the ADS-B In upgrade by Avidyne.

Yeah… what for, and how long (respectively)?

Who, in Europe, is going to be making use of your ADS-B emissions (apart from STOLman’s wife ) ? Much ATC can’t even see Mode S data.

The GDL88 supports the merging of TCAS/TAS units including the Avidyne TAS 6XX series, the L3 Skywatch series, and the GTS8XX series. Instead of connecting direct to the GNS or GTN, the TCAS/TAS system is wired as an input to the GDL88 which in turn is wired to the input of the GTN/GNS. The GDL88 merges the two sources (TCAS/TAS and ADS-B) into a single feed into the GTN/GNS and displays the best target information

That sounds like the way to go, because I would not bet on Avidyne finishing that firmware. They bought the TAS range from Ryan and it’s quite possible that they cannot maintain the firmware anymore.

But just about nobody is emitting ADS-B in Europe – apart from big jets which are not really relevant for TAS purposes (unless you like flying between Luton and Stansted at 5000ft, with your transponder off )

Maybe this conversation will be very different in a few years’ time, but for now I would think there are bigger 4- and 5-figure priced fish to fry.

Very interesting all the same.

A few days ago I was landing at Shoreham. I flew the final as slowly as possible, but still caught up with the one in front, who was zigzagging left to right so badly I could swear he was going to take out some runway lights if he ever landed. He went around, and I went around. I didn’t see anybody else around airborne, but as I climbed up and did an early left turn (cleared by ATC) about 600ft I got a TAS warning, “same position same level”. No way could the other guy have climbed up fast enough (PA28) and anyway I turned left too early for that. Was there somebody else there, unknown? We will never know. One does get people flying straight across at 1000ft, no radio contact. So anything that is better than the present systems would be great. But… most of the “low level community” will never be transponding, will never have ADS-B OUT, and will never be required to have either.

Last Edited by Peter at 16 Apr 08:53
Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Yeah… what for, and how long (respectively)?

The 330ES upgrade will be $1200’ish and the Avidyne say max $2,000, but who knows when?

I’ve just spent a shed-load on avionics so I’m going to give Avidyne 12 months to come up with the upgrade. If nothing’s on the horizon this time next year I’ll spring for the GDL88.

Of course the GDL88 will do lots more for me when I fly over to the States in 2015 ;-)

Spending too long online
EGTF Fairoaks, EGLL Heathrow, United Kingdom

I would guess IFR operation. This would basically rule out the Garrecht TRX1500A which is only certified for displays not required for safe flight.

This is old information. They have a new minor approval and their Website states:
A new EASA Minor Change Approval specifically issued for TRX devices is available. The new approval does no longer limit installation to VFR certified aircraft. Installation with connection to certified systems and the use of exterior antennas is now possible as well.

United Kingdom

This is old information. They have a new minor approval

Thanks, you’re right. Last time I checked for an IFR flying customer it wasn’t available yet.

The GDL88 supports the merging of TCAS/TAS

Correct. Some others do as well. However it is not allowed to have to direct connect sources to a GTN. Using the GDL is a way, which will take care of prioritizing and dupes.
The Garrecht TRX1500A does the same with FLARM (it mixess different signals, to supply only the one with highest accuracy to the display).

An ADS-B receiver does not directly receive Mode A/C or Mode A or Mode S via air to air.

This depends on which receiver is being used. The TRX1500A for example, will. ADS-B can be used in air-ground mode or air-air mode. The first is used in US, the second in EU.

JP-Avionics
EHMZ

ADS-B can be used in air-ground mode or air-air mode. The first is used in US, the second in EU.

ADS-B transceivers such as the GDL88 receive ADS-B messages from other ADS-B Out equipped aircraft via air to air and mode C/S traffic indirectly via ground to air. Ground to air is called TISB and is the result of a ground radar ATCRBS reply, therefore it is the same position accuracy and data that is available to the ground radar system. Air to Air is based on GPS and 1 second position updates. Ground to air is slower with the same update rate as the source radar, usually 4 to 6 seconds. Both are used in the US. After about 2020, TISB traffic will be much reduced but should not go away as not all aircraft need to comply nor will they. I expect maybe 70 to 80% compliance. Mode C/S only has about 90% compliance in the US.

KUZA, United States
56 Posts
Sign in to add your message