Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

How do you make your coffee on board in the cockpit?

It is a standard but rather heavy lead-acid 12V battery. I have no clue how many times I can brew the coffee, because I am not that addicted to coffee that I drink it more than once on a long flight. And in most cases I forget it.

EDLE, Netherlands

Interested in what the 12V battery power-pack looks like / consists of. Proprietor or home build?

Sure they must be 'dry' batteries, but 150W is a 'draw'. How many times can you 'brew' on a long flight.

Regret no current medical
Was Sandtoft EGCF, North England, United Kingdom

That is great! Bit of a spillage risk but great nonetheless.

EGTK Oxford

You don't use boiling water to make espresso. It is brewed at a temperature just below boiling temp. Too hot and the coffee will taste burned. To cold and the coffee will taste sour.

So far, the Handpresso works very well. Next thing I need is a stewardess making me the espresso :-) while I fly the plane.

EDLE, Netherlands

Espresso requires pressure so water boils in enclosed volume at higher than air pressure. Data sheet for this is 9 bar iirc :) boiling point well over 100 C

Being a cappuccino drinker the next challenge is heating and frothing the milk:0

Caber:)

Impressive!

Do you get the water hot enough at 18k?

The boiling point will drop substantially, relative to sea level.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

With my wife being the author of a book on espresso and both of us being barista, I recently bought a small espresso machine that I use on board while cruising at FL180.

See here my blog item on the Handpresso Auto E.S.E. usage.

EDLE, Netherlands
7 Posts
Sign in to add your message