Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

How is engine overhaul period determined?

Recently here it came out that the Lyco TIO-360-A (used in some Mooneys) has a TBO of just 1200hrs – see here

How do the engine manufacturers work this out?

Given that an IO-540, 250HP (say the -C4) usually goes well beyond the 2000hr TBO, the TIO-360 must be getting shagged really fast for its TBO to be specced at just 1200hrs.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

The only lycoming turbo that mooney has been using is the 270HP TIO-540 in the TLS/Bravo. Getting the cylinders liquid cooled by going the Bravo mod changed the engine from a cylinder eater towards not needing top overhaul at mid-life (typical for turbo, at least Continental).

The other turbo mooneys, the 20K or the acclaim are using continental turbo engines. A TIO-360GB/LB or MB for the M20K and a TIO-550 for the acclaim.

There are also aftermarket turbo kits for the M20C-E-F-G-J. These are based on the original lyco IO-360A (or O-360 for the C) plus typically a rajay turbo.

My experience from ROTAX 914 turbo is that the TBO was stated low in the beginning (1000hours) and has been increased step by step (1200-1500hours) towards 2000hours when the company gained more and more experience with the fleet and the real failure modes.
The first turbo ROTAX had issues with crack in the crankcase and oil pressure sensor failing. Otherwise, well maintained, these are no issues engines and make TBO and beyond without issues.

Last Edited by ploucandco at 17 Feb 21:06
Belgium

To be very specific, here are the documents (1, 2) outlining what needs to be done on the ROTAX engines in order to increase the TBO:

Last Edited by ploucandco at 17 Feb 22:16
Belgium

Yes; I was wrong in saying Mooney used that one; they use Conti instead (as per the linked thread). But my Q stands: how is such a (very short) TBO determined?

Administrator

The TIO-360-A appears to be an anomaly in having a 1200 hr recommended TBO when compared the -C series engine with 1800 hr TBO. I’m not sure of the exact differences between -A and -C suffixes, I thought it was maybe just conical engine mounts, but there appears to be something funny with this particular -A suffix engine to have such a low TBO. Other variants with TBO that low have understandable issues like narrow stem valves or geared propeller.

PS Some links seem to indicate the -A means angle valve, i.e. completely different cylinder heads, maybe that is it. There are surely a huge number of O-360 variants.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 17 Feb 22:56

USFlyer wrote:

TBO is arbitrary

It is not… There is a whole branch of engineering sciences devoted to the subject of service life prediction of thermal and mechanical heavily loaded machine items. However, simple equations to link mechanical and thermal induced stress to durability of certain items.

mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany

Here’s what Continental Motors Intl. has to say about TBOs :

TBO periods were established on most CMI engines beginning in the 1960s. Since that time, CMI
has made significant engineering improvements to virtually all major engine components. CMI
has refined manufacturing processes and implemented computer numerical controlled (CNC)
machining tools enabling CMI factory engines to meet higher standards than possible when CMI
engines were originally granted FAA Type Certificates. These improvements have enabled CMI
to increase TBO limits for many of our new and rebuilt engines

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

What I heard is that this 1200hr TBO might be the result of the turbo installation pushing the slightly small engine too hard.

I have heard the same about IO540 engines with 10:1 pistons (for the US Exp market) making only 1200-1500hrs before making metal.

Administrator

On a slight tangent, it will be interesting to see the TBR increases on the diesel engines materialize. With the engines going back to the manufacturer after their stated life expectancy I’d imagine the process can be much more reality-based than for the avgas engines the manufacturer hardly ever gets to see / inspect. Then again, the absolute number of engines in the sample pool might be the same, or even with a disadvantage for the diesels, given the numbers in circulation.

tmo
EPKP - Kraków, Poland

Yes; one would think e.g. Thielert would have a much better grip on what goes on.

But I would make two comments:

• unless an independent engine shop is outright crooked, they will not reassemble an engine as “overhauled” which is outside the manufacturer dimensions and other guidelines, and the shop has an incentive to reveal all under-spec parts it finds because they make the trade margin on replacing them
  • the engine manufacturer has a big incentive to suppress problems but instead will try to fix them quietly and – if the issue is likely to affect many engines – roll out the fix under the disguise of something else (this happens in the software business all the time and the debate on the ethics goes both ways )
Administrator
11 Posts
Sign in to add your message