Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

How sensitive are oil and fuel hoses to being bent around?

Some say that hoses should never be disturbed, because any bending can cause them to fail.

Yesterday I spoke to an engineer (A&P/IA/EASA66) who works on Airbuses and he says they bend them around all the time, when changing parts.

Is there any evidence in GA that hoses fail soon after being moved about?

I am talking of 1500psi-test-pressure teflon hoses used at 100-150psi (this one has a fireproof sleeve on it) which have no technical life limit (there may be a legalistic life limit under some EASA regs)

not rubber hoses which nobody should be using in the 21st century because they are life limited even while sitting on the shelf in a sealed bag.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Some say that hoses should never be disturbed, because any bending can cause them to fail.

Never heard that one.

Flexible hoses are made to support movement – where there isn’t any, then rigid aluminum, steel or SS pipes are used.

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

Hello Peter

i can confirm to you that bending hoses is not a problem. however on teflon hoses the bend radius can be a limiting factor as they are not as flexible as a rubber hose or a convoluted teflon hose. when once a teflon hose is been “overradiused” this hose should not be used again!
we use these hoses in my work (motorsport – f1) in a very harsch envirement any we “life” all hoses incl.teflon hoses but mostley due to the limiting factor of the swage and fitting due to vibration etc.

fly2000
3 Posts
Sign in to add your message