Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

If you are going to get an engine failure, may as well do it properly

redRover wrote:

…but equally it could be poor maintenance by Air France.

AFAIK aircraft engines of that size (and cost – approx. 20M€ per piece) are no longer maintained by the operator. In many cases they are leased to the operator (independently of the aircraft) by the manufacturer. Each engine has it’s own (satellite) data link for telemetry and trend monitoring and the manufacturer decides what maintenance needs to be done and when. Unless AF has completely different conditions in this case they are innocent!

EDDS - Stuttgart

what_next wrote:

And the (American!) engine that blew up on this flight is certainly not Air France’s fault.

Depends what the root cause is, no? The engine could have had some hidden manufacturing fault, or a design flaw, but equally it could be poor maintenance by Air France.

My guess is that it will turn out to be something like the Delta 1288 incident

United States

Timothy wrote:

Heaven is where:
The police are British
The chefs are French
The mechanics are German
The lovers are Italian
and it’s all organised by the Swiss

Hell is where:
The police are German
The chefs are British
The mechanics are French
The lovers are Swiss
and it’s all organised by the Italians.

As a Catholic I shouldn’t say so, but it is so funny (and so true ) !

My experience with Air France is that you have about a 50% chance to get a good/very good service and about 50% chance to get a service that will make you never choose them again.
A less than 45 minutes connection at Paris airports is risky in my experience

LFOU, France

Alexis wrote:

Cosy Seat? When was the last time you have flown Economy Class?
Economy on AF’s A380 has more space than a typical 737 in business class in all 3 directions. Last flights were 10-12h and really no problem.

Peter wrote:

I wonder how much of this cabin entertainment is available on the ground, running off the APU.
All of it on said airplane. USB power at every chair too.

Emir wrote:

Black hole for luggage
I regularly fly 40-45min connections in CDG 2F with both planes parked away, and they have never once lost my suitcase.

Last Edited by Arne at 04 Oct 18:02
ESMK, Sweden

achimha wrote:

What seems to be well established is that Paris Charles de Gaulle is the worst airport in the Western world.

Black hole for luggage

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Fuji_Abound wrote:

I would never fly with Air France anyway.

Last time I flew with AF (a few years back) we were delayed out of Stuttgart (CTOT issue I think) and had a very tight connection at Charles de Gaulle. A flight attendant moved us into the business class close to the exit right after takeoff so that we would be the first out after landing, where a nice lady in a small car waited for us and drove us across the apron to our next plane. Haven’t received that kind of service from any other airline yet!

And the (American!) engine that blew up on this flight is certainly not Air France’s fault.

EDDS - Stuttgart

Tell us more about those Italian lovers @Timothy!

Everybody has a story which airline is the worst and which he’d never fly with. Statistically it kind of evens out. Quantas had a stellar reputation and then suddenly a series of dangerous accidents.

What seems to be well established is that Paris Charles de Gaulle is the worst airport in the Western world. Scores at the top of all rankings I’ve seen and I wholeheartedly agree…

Heaven & Hell

Heaven is where:
The police are British
The chefs are French
The mechanics are German
The lovers are Italian
and it’s all organised by the Swiss

Hell is where:
The police are German
The chefs are British
The mechanics are French
The lovers are Swiss
and it’s all organised by the Italians.

EGKB Biggin Hill

I would never fly with Air France anyway.

I have tried it three times. Two short haul, one long haul.

Three out of three disasters, which is as many as I can stomach. In fact I would go as far out of my way to avoid them.

I do wonder if it is just a totally mistaken impression that they seem to have been more “unlucky” with there incidents than many other operators as well.

NeilC wrote:

And the most important attribute of an airport is an airside w.c.

My last visit to Goose Bay dates back some years (and my last flight on an A380 only a few weeks, so I may be biased) but I would bet that there are a lot more lavatories in the plane that in the terminal/shed outside. One more reason to remain inside.

EDDS - Stuttgart
51 Posts
Sign in to add your message