Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

IFR enroute charts -> Do you carry them, and how?

IFR enroute navigation is essentially GPS waypoint sequencing. There’s no technical reason why one would need a map for that.

The G1000 (or G430) can display a map. Is that sufficient to meet the requirement to carry a “Current and suitable aeronautical charts for the route, area of the proposed flight and all routes along which it is reasonable to expect that the flight may be diverted” ?

In The Netherlands the police is checking GA frequently on documents and flight preparation. Someone got a warning for not having the Intercept procedures on board :’(

I now carry a lightweight laptop (Asus Zenbook) which has Jeppesen installed so I will always be legally compliant because it has the charts of entire Europe, even though this laptop is laying in the baggage compartment

Skydemon has them, Jepp FD has them, and probably others. So, probably most of us have them in their ipads.

I wouldn’t say a GNS430 is equivalent to an IFR enroute chart, because a chart, for me, is something that shows all airways and all waypoints at the same time.

But in practical terms, I agree, the value of such chart is very limited nowadays.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 13 Apr 15:08
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

I have a chart in the cockpit that I bought for my IR training 3 years ago. Never had to use it in anger.

LOAN Wiener Neustadt Ost, Austria

lenthamen wrote:

The G1000 (or G430) can display a map. Is that sufficient to meet the requirement to carry a “Current and suitable aeronautical charts for the route, area of the proposed flight and all routes along which it is reasonable to expect that the flight may be diverted” ?

The G1000 I don’t know well enough, but the 430/530 have much less information than the actual IFR enroute map: No airways, no MEA, MORA or Grid MORA (the terrain data come from a different source) and no frequencies either, at least not easily accessible. So I would not be surprised if a ramp inspector will not accept those units as a substitute for a proper map. The same with the approach charts of course, where the Garmin 430/530 have noting but the waypoint sequence and a few frequencies.

Your laptop with the current Jeppesen maps is of course a valid subsitute for a paper chart, as long as it is accessible in flight. If the ramp inspector finds that laptop in a compartment that can not be accessed in flight (as has happened with an extremely stupid crew of the company before my current one) then some degree of trouble will result.

Last Edited by what_next at 13 Apr 15:12
EDDS - Stuttgart

Interesting comments…

I used to print off strip charts from Flitestar, showing the airways and nearby intersections.

The process was described in this 2009 trip report, with examples.

But lately I have been flying with just a one-page printout showing the route and the main intersections. No airway names.

ATC almost never refer to airways, but I have had it a few times over the years. Currently I would have no way to handle that. So this is the real practical issue.

The classical printed airway charts (e.g. Jepp EUR LO) are good as sunshades and nothing else. Way too cluttered IMHO.

I am not going to pay for SD or JeppFD to get an airways and intersections chart in-flight.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

I am not going to pay for SD or JeppFD to get an airways and intersections chart in-flight.

In past years, before EFB, for my private flying I used to print the approach charts for departure, destination and alternate from someone else’s JeppView installation and bought some Jeppesen paper enroute charts about once per year. A set of four: 1/2 3/4 11/12 and 13/14 covers everything from Scotland to the Greek Islands. They are issued at irregular intervals, but the national charts they are based upon are once-per-year only, so that should be sufficient. “My” set of four charts would cost less than 50 Euros per year.

Last Edited by what_next at 13 Apr 16:27
EDDS - Stuttgart

Yes; I would do the same if I had to legally carry paper airway charts.

I think somebody with a Jeppview sub gets the paper charts mailed to them, every few months. The lowest possible price for this for Europe is about €900.

Administrator

Jepp wil stop publishing paper airway charts soon, just as happened with the VFR charts.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Peter wrote:

I think somebody with a Jeppview sub gets the paper charts mailed to them, every few months.

Not automatically. Since we have switched to EFBs (and got them approved) we have cancelled the paper charts. We still get them though for the aircraft with panel-mounted avionics that have Jeppesen Charts on them (like Collins Pro Line or the Garmin 3000 in the new CJ3+). But I haven’t held one in my hands for at least two years.

EDDS - Stuttgart

In that case, Skyvector is the remaining free option.

I believe the €99 Flitestar VFR will also do the job, but it’s a bit useless for anything else.

The printed airway charts are useless IMHO, except for meeting inspection requirements. If you really want airway “strip charts” then you need to do something else.

FlightPlanPro can also do this airway strip chart generation, though I haven’t used it for a while for that purpose. It used to be very buggy.

Administrator
22 Posts
Sign in to add your message