Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

IFR/VFR Transition in Europe

Discussion of paid versus free flying forums is here

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I think that is fairly clear that the interpretation of the same SERA rules across Europe differs substantially between states.

Attitudes towards IFR operations in class G and in ATZs of airfields without instrument approaches are the most obvious differences.

EGKB Biggin Hill

Some of us may have provided Timothy with a response on another channel :-)

I look forward to read his conclusion on how the rules are perceived compared to what Part-SERA and Part-NCO actually says about this.
Those EASA regs hardly say anything – only “except for take-off and landing” …
I know for certain that my country’s CAA has not realized that.

huv
EKRK, Denmark

I reckon not many people here are doing VFR-IFR transitions airborne, hence the lack of feedback.

Administrator

Airborne_Again wrote:

impossible by definition

No it isn’t. It is illegal by definition, but far from impossible.

EGKB Biggin Hill

Peter wrote:

However, I would argue that calling Class E “CAS” is playing with with words

You can argue any way you want, but if you look at how the concept “controlled airspace” is defined – both in SERA, in the International Rules of the Air and in the FARs – it’s clear that class E is controlled airspace.

Using homemade definitions because you don’t like the official ones will only cause confusion. Just as talking about “VFR in IMC”. Except for Special VFR (which is not what you refer to) that is impossible by definition.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

However, I would argue that calling Class E “CAS” is playing with with words The “CAS” which is used to protect airports etc is Class D or higher.

On a departure without a clearance to enter CAS this just means you need to remain “officially” VMC.

Of course that is better than facing Class D after departure and trying to get somebody on the radio…

Administrator

Peter wrote:

Obviously you need a clearance to enter CAS

Suggest to add “in IMC”. Clearance is not required in Class E per se. You just need CAS VMC. Some countries require radio contact, some not. I think per ICAO rules, radio contact is not necessary.

Last Edited by chflyer at 19 Jan 23:10
LSZK, Switzerland

While there is a lot of valuable information here, what will be really useful is more postings like Snoopy’s and Ultranomad’s, ie postings of quite full descriptions how it works in territory very familiar to the poster.

The list is now:

Bosnia and Herzegovina
Bulgaria
Croatia
Estonia
Finland
Hungary
Iceland
Kosovo
Latvia
Lithuania
Moldova
Montenegro
Portugal
Romania
Serbia
Slovakia
Slovenia
Spain
Turkey
Ukraine

EGKB Biggin Hill

Peter wrote:

Or by having Class E in the “right” place – that is prohibited for IMC without an IFR clearance. Much of France has that.
Class E is controlled airspace.
That’s a fundamental property of controlled airspace (for IFR flights).
And VFR flights too
No. Class E is controlled airspace, but you don’t need a clearance for VFR.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden
27 Posts
Sign in to add your message