Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

In-flight icing incident in Cirrus SR22T (FIKI)

and really worth it!. And I get a 25 % discount for the data from Jeppesen as a COPA member.

Yes, but why pay if you don’t fly a Cirrus?

The SR22T was not mine, even though I flew it much more than the owner of the aircraft. The owner had tried to put his Cirrus in a group of 4-5 pilots but that initiative failed. He put his plane for sale and it was sold in a very short time. I think the new German owner came to look at the aircraft just the week before I flew the Cirrus to Malta and back and had that icing incident. When I returned the aircraft was sold and delivered without further technical reviews in all a very short time. The owner now got himself a Blackshape Prime, which is a completely other type of aircraft. I tried to get the data from the Cirrus dealer but no go for that. I have no access anymore to the aircraft. I am sorry. I really miss the SR22T as it was for me the ideal aircraft and flew it a lot each year for the last few years.

It’s unfortunate that happened. Has anything come out on COPA, or does COPA have a ban on “extracting” information? Most private sites do have that, though they can hardly expect safety related info to not escape into the wild.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I am still a member of Copa but all were waiting for the data and I don’t have access to that data. All the guys on Copa said was that it was unusual behavior and that the alt air door could not have been frozen up as it sits right next to this hot engine.

EDLE, Netherlands

Not only it’s bolted to the (rather warm) oil sump but considering where it is located any ice or water drops would have to go through the air filter, turn 180 degrees and swim upstream against the airstream and turbo suction. Physics isn’t my major but that seems rather improbable.

Also: this is the only case like this, AFAIK. So the reasons should be elsewhere …

I am sure the reasons are elsewhere, but I will never find out. :-( And in case people are wandering … I still love the Cirrus SR22T. It is a very capable aircraft.

Last Edited by AeroPlus at 17 Sep 15:07
EDLE, Netherlands

This may be a similar accident.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
86 Posts
Sign in to add your message