Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

In-flight icing incident in Cirrus SR22T (FIKI)

Peter there is no TKS fluid in the engine compartment. If there were you would see the residue after landing. While yes the windscreen does get spray many times I have to use the defroster to clear away the area to see out about 6" in diameter. Now I could also use the TKS spray bar if it worked. I think in order for the prop to be deiced there has to be a lot of fluid running along the prop. Im not sure how far out it goes along the blade. I think most of the ice build up is along the area where the boots are located.

Never said the alternate air door hing or otherwise gets iced up. It cant. It is located behind the engine and I know it can get hot back there because vacuum pumps without cooling shrouds disintegrate on a 10 hr flight, So it has heat from the engine but no ram air therefore less power.

As far as cabin air ducting. Yes you can get a very faint sense of a smell of TKS so I close all the vents. Just being hyper cautious. Never had TKS dripping from the vents although flying through extremely heavy rain I have gotten drips. Surprised the engine didnt lose power with the alt air taking over.

210s are just great all weather flying machines.

KHTO, LHTL

So it has heat from the engine but no ram air therefore less power.

A negligible effect. I use Alternate Air (manual control) in clear conditions occasionally and it never leads to any reduction in manifold pressure.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

A negligible effect. I use Alternate Air (manual control) in clear conditions occasionally and it never leads to any reduction in manifold pressure.

About 2-3" in my aircraft. However, my alternate air is heavily heated, it is ducted along the exhaust manifold.

there is no TKS fluid in the engine compartment. If there were you would see the residue after landing

The fluid entering the air intake will go inside the engine and will be burnt. It won’t end up in the void in the cowlings. Same with rainwater.

About 2-3" in my aircraft. However, my alternate air is heavily heated, it is ducted along the exhaust manifold.

Less than 0.5" in mine.

Interestingly, in the TB20, alt air closes off the air path from the air filter. I wonder why they did that?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Not all the air that goes through the front air scoops winds up in the engine. The majority is forced over the cyls and down around and under the cyl and finally out the cowl flaps or the side vents. If TKS fluid would get into the engine compartment there would evidence of it. Its all bone dry as opposed to the airframe. Besides what happens with heated props? Most 210s have that and I dont hear stories of ice accumulating and clogging the air intake to the engine. I suppose it can happen just dont hear about it. If it was a frequent occurrence Im sure I would have heard on the CPA site.

KHTO, LHTL

With the SR22 you get enough TKS spray on the windshield from the prop. Alternate air does not reduce my MP significantly

Not all the air that goes through the front air scoops winds up in the engine. The majority is forced over the cyls and down around and under the cyl and finally out the cowl flaps or the side vents. If TKS fluid would get into the engine compartment there would evidence of it. Its all bone dry as opposed to the airframe.

OK, sorry, now I get what you mean. There will always be TKS going into the cowling intakes. So why is the inside of your (and my) cowling not covered with TKS fluid? I would suggest:

• wx permitting, one turns off TKS some time before landing, to get better visibility through the front window
  • the fluid may not survive (in liquid form) the passage through the cylinder head fins
  • the fluid does not accumulate inside the cowling, possibly because it is an air-suspended mist down there

Besides what happens with heated props? Most 210s have that and I dont hear stories of ice accumulating and clogging the air intake to the engine. I suppose it can happen just dont hear about it. If it was a frequent occurrence Im sure I would have heard on the CPA site.

This “why have I not heard of this before” is a common thing in GA. My suggestions:

• many pilots don’t post on forums
  • most pilots who fly “for real” (however you define that) do not post on forums
  • a lot of pilots don’t read forums at all
  • based on feedback I get, the most experienced pilots are not going to pay to access a forum (like CPA or COPA)
  • a much bigger % of pilots than you would believe is trying to sell their plane, so no public washing of dirty laundry
  • most pilots will not criticise their plane openly
  • reluctance to talk openly about flight in icing conditions (whether FIKI or not) – especially true on the US sites
  • most pilots don’t fly in low temperatures / high altitudes (how many pilots do you know who have oxygen?)
  • what we are talking about involves an unusual mission profile for piston GA (flight in IMC at temps below the structural icing band)

One hears of enough cases off-forum. I personally met a pilot who got a dual engine failure in a Baron over the N Sea, ~FL200. They both restarted ~2000ft. He sold it the next day…

Administrator

with COPA you are wrong. The most experienced Cirrus pilots are there, many of them

Peter, I think you do a bit of an injustice to the COPA forum. It is one of the best resources I have ever come across on the internet.

It is almost entirely populated with people who undertake long complex flights in weather that would keep most Europeans firmly on the ground. Also, being predominantly US based, the vast majority of the flying is IFR.

The technical knowledge (both airframe specific, and generally) is superb. There are a number of regular posters who have moved on from Cirrus and now operate turboprops or jets, but still keep their subscription going and contribute. Dozens of the contributors are flight instructors as well and there are also numerous engineers.

The level of analysis that goes on after every little incident is impressive, and there are folks on there who know literally where every nut and bolt is on their aircraft. Engine management, and post flight analysis is a massive ‘thing’. You really would like it there…

If I had to criticise, it’s a bit of a cultural thing. Everyone is just too polite on there – it feels like Sunday School sometimes. I guess that’s just a reflection on the fact that most upper-middle class Americans probably are a bit more religiously enlightened than us infidels…

It is almost entirely populated with people who undertake long complex flights in weather that would keep most Europeans firmly on the ground. Also, being predominantly US based, the vast majority of the flying is IFR.
The technical knowledge (both airframe specific, and generally) is superb. There are a number of regular posters who have moved on from Cirrus and now operate turboprops or jets, but still keep their subscription going and contribute. Dozens of the contributors are flight instructors as well and there are also numerous engineers.
The level of analysis that goes on after every little incident is impressive, and there are folks on there who know literally where every nut and bolt is on their aircraft. Engine management, and post flight analysis is a massive ‘thing’.

What are they saying about it? It would be a contribution to flight safety if the pilots who read EuroGA (currently ~800/day) can learn from it.

Based on what they say, is this a common event and how do they explain it?

Administrator
Sign in to add your message