Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Inhibiting an engine

A_and_C wrote:

A quick search of the LAS aerospace website will find inhibiting oil and dehydrator plugs for the cylinders.

Thank you for that. Now I know it exists, I’ve found it (or at least part of it).

I have found the dehydrator plugs and also something that calls itsself ‘EngineGuard Aero’ which if I understand correctly, you just bung into the oil and leave.

I still haven’t found any specific inhibiting oils, possibly because I’m not looking for the right thing. They all seem to be Aeroshell branded – but I can’t find any Aeroshell 2XN which seems to be the Aeroshell inhibiting oil.

Is there any specific product I should be looking for?

As Airways touches on, I’m also going to get lots of Silica Gel and planning to take the battery home where I can tend to it periodically.

I got bulk Silica Gel colour changing beads from www.geejaychemicals.co.uk They are approx 5mm beads and I bought about 6 Kg of the stuff!

I always have dry beads in store and keep swapping them to keep the inside of the plane dry in the winter.

United Kingdom

airways wrote:

Let’s say you want to store a plane for a couple of years in a non-heated hangar.

That doesn’t sound like a good idea unless you live in the desert IMO.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

What if you want to store the whole plane

I would pack the cockpit with silica get, a few kg, and change it monthly. ACF50 all the usual cavities (wings etc) bu that should be done anyway. Yes, take the battery out. The fuel should be drained because avgas will selectively vapourise off over a long time. Avgas doesn’t go off in a sealed container but the fuel tanks are vented.

I would also cover it up, otherwise it will end up covered in dirt, bird droppings (corrosive), etc.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
14 Posts
Sign in to add your message