Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Spinning in a C152 - beyond immediate recovery

The 172s I did fly (Reims versions) were all certified in the Normal category, and in addition for the Utility category as long as certain weight and C and G envelope limits were adhered to. Spinning was only allowed in the utility category; effectively limiting spinning to two people with tanks not quite full.

Biggin Hill

In the UK you apparently can’t intentionally spin a Tomahawk unless it has a harness fitted (rather than a belt). I haven’t seen the relevant rule but this could explain a discrepancy between what you ‘can’ do in a c172 and what the poh says you can do.

Very interesting … and strange …
I have also flown about 5 or 6 diferent other 172s, and they were ALL approved for spinnuing by POH!

Also a 172SP I have flown was approved for spins

Last Edited by Flyer59 at 29 Dec 20:35

Weird. Mine has none of the above. Only a short para about spin recovery if entered inadvertently. Mine’s in English, presumably the US version.

But now the plot thickens:

In the Normal category it lists as approved, wait for it:
- Lazy Eight
- Chandelle
- Stall
- Steep Turns

and then goes on to say ‘spins are not approved’

The next para covers the Utility category, which I quoted verbatim in my earlier post. How strange….

And there’s a WHOLE chapter about spins. How it is done best, about the recovery and all that… over 2 pages!

(It’s a german manual from 1980)

Mine has the sae text but with the addition that it is approved for the following maneruvers:
- Lazy Eight
- Chandelle
- Stall
- Steep Turns
- Spin

alexisvc

Well – funnily enough – the 1980 172N POH I hold in my hand is a a bit vague about the subject.

It says under Utility Category:

Quote:This airplane is not designed for purely aerobatic flight. However, in the acquisition of various certificates such as commercial pilot and flight instructor, certain maneuvers are required by the FAA. All of these maneuvers are permitted in this airplane when operated in the utility category. End of quote.

Nothing explicit about spinning. However, as spin recovery is part of the CFI (though not CPL) syllabus, this infers that a 1980 C172 may, indeed, be spun as per POH. I stand corrected.

Interestingly, the 172RG is certified only in the Normal category and spins are explicitly prohibited as per POH.

You have enough authority already :-)
I did the CRI rating when my wife did her PPL … This way I could log the times when we were practicing.

Sorry Alexis, couldn’t resist… :)

Peter, you should get a CRI or FI so you can provide the sort of training students really need, based on experience!
Someone posted about 200 hr instructors fresh out of school and I couldn’t agree more. I waited 12 years before I thought I had something to add to the mix, and I’m still learning.

Aviation needs people like you and everyone else on the forum, with real world experience and a genuine interest in aviation and aircraft, not just the paycheck and stripes on the shirt.

ESSB, Stockholm Bromma

Hey I must get a CRI so I can post in the Instructors forum here with the proper authority

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
86 Posts
Sign in to add your message