Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

How often do you cancel a lesson?

But it will take a week to teach a proper NDB approach in crosswind conditions (and another do do it single-engine with a twin).

One would include that as well - whatever is in the syllabus would be done.

The value of doing some real trips is that they tend to be enjoyable and relaxing, and you have time for stuff learnt in the high-workload terminal areas to sink in.

I did my first IFR A to B flight on my own once I got my license and didn't get lost, the VORs were exactly where they printed them on the map :-)

Sure, but nobody flies that way in the Eurocontrol system and has not done for years. On the way back to/from La Rochelle I got some DCTs over 100nm. I recall one was about 150nm. It's 100% RNAV/GPS today.

But I am sure you know all that

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

But I am sure you know all that...

Yes and it makes training a little difficult sometimes, because the syllabus is still all about VORs and NDBs and intersecting QDRs and doing procecure turns (who has ever flown a textbook PT in real life?) whereas the controllers like you to fly from waypoint to waypoint and finish the day with a GPS approach (which is not even part of the syllabus yet...).

EDDS - Stuttgart

who has ever flown a textbook PT in real life?

Oh I can recommend Colmar LFGA, not very far from Stuttgart. Moreover, the terrain in the west can cause some interesting wind patterns.

LSZK, Switzerland

Oh I can recommend Colmar LFGA, not very far from Stuttgart...

Just looked it up in JeppView. Yes, that would be a good one for training. NDB approach with procedure turn. I will let them do that in the procedures trainer for sure :-)

EDDS - Stuttgart
14 Posts
Sign in to add your message