Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Instruments certified as PRIMARY - do they need to come ON with the electrics MASTER switch?

My engine analyser (EI CGR-30P) comes on with the Master Switch. It does have RPM, Manifold Pressure and Tacho.

It is also connected to the fuel flow system and records fuel used at Start Up before the Avionics Master is on. It also communicates (RS232) with the IFD550 to give fuel usage and range info on the map display and Datablock.

EGLK, United Kingdom

That’s a great data point, @Colin, thanks. Who installed it?

FWIW, my Shadin fuel flow totaliser also comes on before the avionics master…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

My CGR-30P also comes on with the master. It is needed at start-up as it is the only engine instrument, including tacho.
Mine was installed in the Netherlands, but I seem to recall this is how it is designed to be installed according to the manual supplied, so I would expect anyone to do it like this.

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

This wiring instruction appears in a number of installation manuals.

For example, the Sandel SG102 AHRS gyro can be wired direct, per the IM, so that it is halfway to having stabilised by the time you get around to switching on the avionics and sorting them out. Mine wasn’t done that way because it does expose it to the starter motor spikes, and I judged that to be not worth the risk.

What I was wondering is whether there is a regulation requiring this type of wiring.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

What I was wondering is whether there is a regulation requiring this type of wiring.

Maybe, I have no idea. I’m just wondering what kind of reason should warrant such a requirement?

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Peter wrote:

Who installed it?

Mine was fitted by Mike Walker (retired BA Avionics Engineer), at the same time as other new avionics were installed. He did a good job. Everything worked first time after a fairly complex installation.

EGLK, United Kingdom

I’m just wondering what kind of reason should warrant such a requirement?

With a tachometer it is obvious – you want it to work when the engine starts.

Admittedly such an instrument will still stop working if you turn off the electrics master during flight, and that is reportedly a popular tactic by renters to reduce their billing

But it is less obvious for an engine monitor which does only CHT and EGT.

In the meantime no avionics installer has made any input here and my enquiries elsewhere have not produced a response, so maybe the requirement is found in the STC IM only i.e. the STC won’t be approved otherwise.

Administrator

The G500 STC for the DR400 has an option to have the system operated by a switch so you don’t have it connected to the electrical system for engine start.

However the standby attitude indicator is connected directly to the main aircraft DC bus bar.

I just got this from someone who found it on a US site:

Administrator
19 Posts
Sign in to add your message