Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Interesting landing today at Portoroz LJPZ

This morning I flew to LJPZ with pretty ok general weather forecast and TAF indicating some clouds but nothing special.

TAF LJPZ 280800Z 2809/2818 12007KT 9999 FEW005 TEMPO 2809/2812 BKN003=

Last METAR at 0900Z was ok and I heard few VFR traffic on approach and landing.

METAR LJPZ 280930Z 13001KT 9999 FEW005 07/M00 Q1038=

I was cleared for RNP RW15 with LPV minima at 600’. At 1700’ I was still in clear sky with solid layer just below me. When started final descent and plunged to IMC, ATC asked me if I had visual contact with traffic left and below me (which was supposed to orbit and wait for my landing but suddenly decided to continue approach). I responded negatively and he issued me immediate go around.

I entered holding pattern at UNFIX and was cleared for new approach. Then ATC decided to change RW direction to 33 and I was re-cleared for RNP RW15 with cicrcling to RW33. At circling minima I had RW in sight and broke left but just before turning to base I lost runway from sight and started another missed approach. Having several VRPs in sight I asked ATC to stay on heading turn towards the runway and perform visual landing at RW33 which was granted. When I turned towards the runway I was able to see the displaced threshold and few hundred meters more while the rest was under thick mist – ATC reported BKN003 and visibility 3 km. Obviously I landed but wasn’t happy with ATC and their traffic handling.

This is how it looked like.

Last Edited by Emir at 28 Jan 20:51
LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Seems like the control zone was at least in special VFR conditions on your first approach… Maybe the other traffic just wanted to get on the ground asap seeing the conditions deteriorating, and being worried of having to divert. And then created a very dangerous situation…
Did you report the event?

EHLE LIMB, Netherlands

NicoKM wrote:

Seems like the control zone was at least in special VFR condition

ATC started to advise special VFR after my first go-around.

Maybe the other traffic just wanted to get on the ground asap seeing the conditions deteriorating, and being worried of having to divert.

Probably…

Did you report the event?

ATC made a report. I wasn’t making big drama about the event. I don’t remember the registration and I didn’t ask ATC later on. During the approach I only briefly saw black square at TAS which meant C-mode transponder and I don’t remember turning it you yellow circle and no “traffic” warning. I guess we still had decent separation although TAS can’t give so reliable position for C-mode but it gives precise vertical separation.

I checked FlySto recording (thanks @Snoopy) and only ADS-B traffic above was recorded.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

I was to LJPZ this Sunday and it seems that customs and immigration are not constantly there anymore and PPR is required. I didn’t see the policemen who were usually there in the past and AIP says customs and immigration O/R. Also NOTAM specifies new contact phone and email for airport border crossing PPR.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Emir wrote:

I was to LJPZ this Sunday and it seems that customs and immigration are not constantly there anymore and PPR is required.

I guess with Croatia in Schengen the need for immigration is much less.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

The AIP:

What does that actually mean? It says OR but doesn’t say how much time is needed.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

What does that actually mean? It says OR but doesn’t say how much time is needed.

It seems that I understood it wrongly. This means C&I is there always “MON-SUN: 07:30 – 16:00 (06:30 – 18:00)” as AD Administration (winter/summer) and in addition it can be invited outside working hours. Remarks (12) says: “Outside hours of operation services are available O/R. Requests are to be submitted at least 24 HR before ETA or ETD.”

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

LJPZ was always progressive in marketing – always at Aero EDNY. Would be very odd to make C+I difficult, because Brits are a very significant % of the travelling part of GA.

Administrator

I bet that in LJPZ brits are single digit %
My visits alone there probably make up 30%
😛

Last Edited by Snoopy at 17 Apr 22:19
always learning
LO__, Austria

A half decent management accountant will tell you that all the time you are below capacity, and if the costs of the business are almost totally fixed, every $ of income goes straight to the bottom line

The failure to realise this is the essence of the overpricing problems GA has in Europe.

Administrator
11 Posts
Sign in to add your message