Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

iPad Air

I understand the general wisdom is to use a iPad mini in the cockpit. However, I was wondering if anyone is using the larger iPad Air successfully. If so, do you use a kneeboard, yoke mount, suction or other means of keeping it to hand.
For flying I would be happy with a mini, but for all other aspects of use I would prefer to go for the Air. I have been told I am not allowed both

D a v i d
EGTR Elstree

DavidA wrote:

If so, do you use a kneeboard, yoke mount, suction or other means of keeping it to hand.

In the three aircraft I fly at work, two are equipped with “normal” iPads and one had iPad Airs. Since quite a few of my colleagues (me included) are over 50 already, we were able to get a majority vote against iPad Minis which would require reading glasses for use…
Personally I like to use the iPad on my knees (held there by gravity, not by kneepd) or simply in my hands, some pilots use holders with suction cups. These I don’t like because the obstruct too much of the view outside.

Last Edited by what_next at 25 Mar 19:26
EDDS - Stuttgart

I only have an IPad Air (my only IOS product and a NEXUS 7 tablet). I use both in combination with an aluminium kneeboard. (http://www.mygoflight.com/ipad-kneeboard-pro-c/ ) Very happy with it. I even use parts of it outside the plane too.

I don’t use yoke mounts because I am too small and to be able to touch my brakes of the Mooney, I have to sit relative close to the instrument panel. If I would use a yoke mount or other mount, it would disrupt my vision on the instruments and I don’t like that. Even if I fly a naviation alone, using my kneeboard is a habit.

Vie
EBAW/EBZW

I found the full size iPad just too big and switched to an iPad mini

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

I like the size of the air and find it works well on a yoke mount in a big cockpit. That being said, it does obscure some of the lower instrument panel.

If I flew lots of different (or smaller) aircraft, I would go with the mini on a kneeboard.

Can you borrow one of each from a friend to try before you buy? I think it will come down to personal preference…

Sans aircraft at the moment :-(, United Kingdom

I do use the iPad Air yoke mounted in my Bonanza. It is okay, when flying alone. It takes a little to much of the Co-Pilots space when going by two.

EDDS , Germany

I use a full size iPad. I don’t find it too big at all, but I suppose it depends on how big your cockpit it. (I fly a Piper Arrow and there is plenty of room).

Initially I just left it on my lap, but didn’t feel comfortable with that. Whenever I needed two hands to do something, it was very likely to slide off my lap.

So I made a home made knee mount for it, that works perfectly.

Basically I got one of the cheap plastic back covers that easily attached to the back of the iPad. I put some Velcro on the back of that. I then got a flat plate of aluminium and cut two slits into it. I put a piece of elastic through the slits, which could go around my leg. Then I placed another piece of Velcro on the aluminium. This allows the Velcro on the aluminium to attach to the backing on the iPad cover in either landscape or portrait as I wish, and for the easy exchange if I ever get a different tablet.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

They both work fine as long as you don’t want to bolt them to anything. I use them like a paper chart, stowing by my hip when not in use.

Fly safely
Various UK. Operate throughout Europe and Middle East, United Kingdom

This may not be relevant in the proposed location, but I would avoid sunshine going directly onto the Ipad.

Every “consumer” tablet I have ever tried in my TB20 shuts down in direct sunlight. They all use very similar technology and have similar battery protection measures. Well, the Samsung T705 doesn’t, but that’s Android and it’s small.

To some extent it depends on whether you are charging the device (charging makes it hotter) and on the altitude (e.g. FL180 is only 50% of the air density).

What helps a LOT is having nothing against the back of the unit i.e. free airflow.

Others have reported no problems… but planes with small windows, aircon, pressurisation, etc won’t have the problem anyway.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I use an old (I think it’s an iPad 2) full-size one that lives on my kneeboard, held there by gravity. The kneeboard I use has two pen holders and the iPad rests on those which gives it additional airflow (I do take it out of the sleeve when flying). Only had an inflight shutdown once, and that was when I stupidly left it on the dash in full sunshine for a while at around 10k ft. Came back after a few minutes in the shade. I mostly fly a C182.

Edited to add: the newly announced small iPad Pro seems to be the perfect solution, allegedly also much less glare on the screen. Will need to check it out.

Last Edited by 172driver at 26 Mar 00:59
19 Posts
Sign in to add your message