Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Is a standby AI a requirement for flying IFR in NCO ops?

It is not included in the equipment list that is given under NCO.IDE.A.125. So could you legally fly IFR without?

EASA Annex VII part NCO-IR

Is this Country dependent? How about Germany?

Last Edited by UdoR at 11 Feb 10:16
Germany

I don’t think it is mandatory. Otherwise, why do I have to pass all the limited panel exercises?!

EGTR

UdoR wrote:

It is not included in the equipment list that is given under NCO.IDE.A.125. So could you legally fly IFR without?

EASA Annex VII part NCO-IR

Is this Country dependent? How about Germany?

Part-NCO does not require a standby AI, so yes you can. It does require a turn indicator/coordinator.

It can’t be country dependent as national legislation can’t override EU legislation. (Unless the EU legislation specifically allows it.)

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

@Airborne_again sounds totally reasonable, thank you ☺️

Germany
I certainly wouldn t fly in IMC without one, even a portable one
Poland

In general terms, the European private flying regs do not require equipment duplication. Hence the countless threads about whether we need two radios (answer is NO and one can be 25k if the other is 8.33, etc, etc).

Otherwise, why do I have to pass all the limited panel exercises?!

Limited Panel is AI covered and using the TC – in classical IFR at least. No idea what they do with say a G1000 but I am sure we have a thread about it

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

No idea what they do with say a G1000

In theory they can pull PFD C/B and then you have standby AI and AI presented on MFD – none of them is ideal for flying but can be used. I have additional AI in iPad within ForeFlight from GTX 345 connected via FS 210 which is much better positioned.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Emir wrote:

In theory they can pull PFD C/B and then you have standby AI and AI presented on MFD – none of them is ideal for flying but can be used. I have additional AI in iPad within ForeFlight from GTX 345 connected via FS 210 which is much better positioned.

Of course the type certificate for the aircraft (or an STC) can require a standby AI. In the case of the G1000, at least single PFD installations only has a single AHRS, so if that one goes, you lose both attitude and turn indicator. In that case the TC would require a standby AI.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

All the G1000 aircraft I have used have a minimum equipment list (MEL) in the limitations part of the AFM (so it is probably also in the type certificate). Any MEL has to be observed regardless of what NCO.IDE requires. In fact I think you have to observe both the MEL and the NCO.IDE as the MEL does not override the NCO.IDE requirements.
I don’t think that I have seen any G1000 aircraft not requiring a backup attitude (besides the G1000 AHRS) for IFR flying.

huv
EKRK, Denmark
9 Posts
Sign in to add your message