Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Under the hood for the RNAV

Wearing the silly hat for one more time, this time perfecting the approach into Lydd. This was very well flown and very enjoyable, and a little less hard work than the flight a week before. *

After an immediate departure from Stapleford, I fly the RNAV Runway 21 at Lydd under the hood. Another bumpy flight, as we cloud surf our way to Kent before conducting a Non-Precision approach using the LNAV into Lydd.

We also realise why it’s important to maintain altitudes and keep a very good look out. Check the video out to see why and what I did wrong.

* Unfortunately I lost the Audio camera for the entire approach phase.

Qualified PPL with IR SP/SE PBN
EGSG, United Kingdom

pilotrobbie wrote:

Check the video out to see why and what I did wrong.

I might not take this the right way, but that sounds a bit like classic click bait

I find find videos much more interesting when there is a text that allows people without time / can’t use sound to participate, and seeing that someone puts the effort to write makes it sound much less like an advertisement for a youtube channel.

A few thoughts:

- do get that TC exchanged. It’s shot. Very likely, should you lose your AI in IMC, you will not be able to control the aircraft and might crash and die. Even better: get a second, independent AI.
- get some experience in real IFR conditions. I haven’t seen any in these recent videos.
- get proper headsets
- get rid of the guy in the righthand seat – he doesn’t seem to contribute much. When that’s the case, it’s much better going solo cause you will in fact learn more on solo flights

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Are these flights training leading up to an IR initial?

EGTK Oxford

IMCR I think; I vaguely recall hearing something about the instructor having an IMCR.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Is it just me or is there some nitpicking going on. Maybe it’s a cultural thing and this is the way instruction is done in the UK? I find more direct/clear feedback, after the flight and after some self critique to be more beneficial. Eg „the approach execution was good“ or „the flare was too long – focus on speed control and flare lower etc..“ but what’s the point of repeatedly hinting between the lines what was „sort of“ wrong/sort of ok? I mean to focus more on what needs to be done to correct than on the mistake itself. It’s a DA40…big deal ;).

@robbie
What might be easier regarding atc is to repeat what they tell in the same order instead of reversing the information:
Eg.: „G-ABC expect runway 24, descend 3000 feet, sqawk 7067, qnh 1026“ = „rwy24, 3000feet, 7067, 1026“
I noticed you start the reply inverse with the last info (qnh) first.

Last Edited by Snoopy at 30 Nov 01:08
always learning
LO__, Austria

Snoopy wrote:

Is it just me or is there some nitpicking going on.

I don’t know if it is instruction or someone being safety pilot. Maybe @pilotrobbie can clarify.

EGTK Oxford

boscomantico wrote:

Even better: get a second, independent AI.

Isn’t that a legal requirement for ifr?

always learning
LO__, Austria

Now wrote:

I might not take this the right way, but that sounds a bit like classic click bait

I agree. EuroGA isn’t YouTube. Don’t try to fish for clicks and subscriptions here.

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

Can one really make money from YT clicks? Normally one needs a video to go seriously viral for that, and get a lot of google hits.

IMHO the instructor was brave to allow himself to be filmed. I would not have done that

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
35 Posts
Sign in to add your message