Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Is IMCR to (the proposed) EIR to CB IR better than IMCR to CB IR?

10 Posts

Somebody told me that the former involves less work because the IMCR is a bigger credit towards the EIR than towards the CB IR.

I am totally baffled by these new proposals and wonder if anybody can explain it…

Last Edited by Peter at 23 Feb 11:49
Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I’m very interested in this. I have an IMC, but have not yet been able to do an IR (colorblind).
I have my own IFR aircraft. I have few instrument hours since I don’t live in the UK.
I have considered to do a trip in the summer to the UK, maybee find someone here to join me and then hour build some instrument time.
The goal is an IR. Don’t know if the best is to do the EIR first.

pmh
ekbr ekbi, Denmark

Peter, I was unaware that any cross-credits were available IMCr to EIR or to CB IR, I also understood that was what the controversy was about when certain UK based organisations were not seen to be supportive of the IMCr during the FCL00000 (yawn) 0008 discussions.

I have heard from an informed source that certain concessions are likely to be worked out on this question and of course the FAA / EASA debacle, but without substance or detail thus far.

Rex

It may have been posted already, but PPL/IR may have produced a pamphlet summarising the current status?

I used to be a PPL/IR member, but having gone mainly no gyro, no longer have access – perhaps it is Ok to share their pamphlet?

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Peter, I was unaware that any cross-credits were available IMCr to EIR or to CB IR

I don’t think there are cross credits as such. What there is is that the minimum FTO time is being reduced from 50hrs (SE IR) to 10hrs. Then you need extra 30 hrs instrument time from elsewhere, and that 30hrs can be time logged on the privileges of the IMCR, and possibly also the original training towards the IMCR if it was done with an IR rated (not just IMC Rated) instructor. Or you could clock up time with a freelance IRI, outside the training establishment entirely.

perhaps it is Ok to share their pamphlet

If it is on a public URL that’s fine, of course, but one is not allowed to republish material produced internally for members only.

Administrator

My only guess is that the TK for the IMCr to EIR upgrade is similar of possibly the same as that for a full IR – therefore less of a mission. I thought the only credit was the hours of logged Instrument time accumulated prior. As i understand it, the TK for the EIR is more advanced than the current IMCr, and quite right if it’s going to allow your PA28’s to be flying in airways with your 737’s and so on.

The info from PPL/IR Europe is in the public domain Link

Thank you

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

IMCR to EIR
The EIR training course is a minimum of 15 hours dual instrument instruction, 10 hours of which must be a formal course at an ATO (Approved Training Organisation) and 5 hours which may be conducted independently by an IRI.
If you had an IRI you can get 5 hours creditted.

EIR to CBM
10 hours must be dual instrument flight instruction on an approved CBM IR course at an ATO
A further 15 hours must be dual instrument flight instruction, but need not be on an approved course or at an ATO (but could be, for example, an EIR course)
Up to 15 hours may be flight time as PIC under IFR, whilst holding a qualification allowing the pilot to fly in IMC under IFR (eg. a military rating, an FAA IR, a UK IMCR or an EASA EIR)

To go this way:
First 10 hour at ATO (EIR)
then 10 hour ATO (CBM)
15 hour PIC

IMCR to CBM
10 hour ATO (CBM)
15 hour dual instruction (can be from IMCR if the instructor was proper rated)
15 hour PIC

My IMC instructor was not qualified to teach IR. I think I will have to get a freelance IR rated instructor to get the 15 hour dual sorted, then make sure I have the 15 hour PIC, and then when the ATO has the training in place get the written and the 10 hour done.

pmh
ekbr ekbi, Denmark

What is going to be “fun” is proving that the instructor you had for your IMCR, 20 years ago, had a valid IR at the time.

Sure he has one now – he’s been flying a 737 for the last 19.5 years

Some people went through this argument over the applicability of the IMCR training towards the FAA IR. Despite some pilot forum wars fought over it, that was never resolved (by the FAA) in respect of the IMCR instructor’s exact qualifications at the time.

Administrator
10 Posts
Sign in to add your message