Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Is there any way to send SMS over WIFI?

Peter wrote:

The number is not in the SIM card. It is associated with the SIM ID by the network.

I am not exactly sure how it’s done, but my Android tablet displayed the phone number of every SIM card I stuck in it. It does not necessarily mean it’s true for every SIM card in the world, but it’s at least a popular optional feature.

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

It could be trivially done by the device sending an SMS to some number which it knows, or can obtain via some protocol embeded in the Android O/S. The system receiving the SMS grabs the CLI and returns it to the device, via SMS or the internet.

At the device vendor level, there is a special SMS type called something like “network message”, which can be hidden from the user. For example a non-jailbroken Ipad has its SMS functionality blocked from the user interface by Apple, but it can receive and display (and act on, if required) these special SMSs – examples. Old Nokia phones could transmit such SMSs, though I think that needed a cable and some PC software.

There are also “flash messages” which are SMSs that pop up without being stored in the Inbox. I have a program at work which can generate them, over an RS232 (DLR-3P) connection to a 6130i

So anything is possible

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
13 Posts
Sign in to add your message