Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Is this too much ice for an A320?

It apparently isn’t to do with the plane crashing but rather with engine inlet protection to avoid chunks of ice shredding the compressor blades, and that requirement is common across different jet engines.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

A bizjet pilot

It’s good to know that yet another A320 expert confirms what was already ascertained as probable…

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

A bizjet pilot friend reckons they crew forgot…

Administrator

Peter wrote:

Cabin crew were told to get seated, which is unusual.

That has to do with turbulence rather than anything else. But yes, it is unusual and if you hear that, very quickly drink your coffee and tea if you don’t want it on your pants. Or throw a blanket over the tray in front of you. Worked fine for me over Labrador.

Will_c wrote:

I wonder what would have happened if we hadn’t been deiced by ground crew that night.

A good indication what might have happened is the case of Air Florida 90. However, their biggest mistake was not to put on engine anti ice, so their EPR probes iced up and they thought they had take off power when they had not by a long run. But the deposits on the wings are killers too, even though less so on a 737 as i.e. on a Fokker 100 or a Challenger.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

They were young but the LHS was not that young – maybe 30?

That all makes sense then

Dan
LSZF, Switzerland

So it sounds like the crew forgot to turn it on They were young but the LHS was not that young – maybe 30?

Administrator

I was a passenger on a flight some twenty plus years ago that was taxiing for takeoff at Geneva to fly to Manston. It was a replacement for an EU Jet flight and the plane was a Boeing 737. We were the only plane that I could see was not de-iced by ground crew. As we had contaminated wings I told the cabin crew that we wanted to get off if their intention was to depart with contaminated wings. It wasn’t just ice, it was snow as well.

Someone from the cockpit came out after the cabin crew called them, looked out of the window and returned to the cabin. Shortly after we taxied back to a stand (Geneva had to stop other aircraft taxiing for us to return) and we were then deiced. The flight then continued without any problems. I wonder what would have happened if we hadn’t been deiced by ground crew that night.

Last Edited by Will_c at 07 Mar 22:45

Come on guys. Nobody even remotely suggested this was at departure!

Administrator

Dan wrote:

OTOH also trying very hard to identify an aircraft which is allowed to dispatch with contamination on the wings/tail for take-off…

Unless, of course, you’re in Russia….

:

Xtophe wrote:

visual ice indicator between the 2 windshield

Which I pictured here…

Dan
LSZF, Switzerland
25 Posts
Sign in to add your message