Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

J Wagner ILS to minimums. :-) (and how much of the approach light system and the runway needs to be visible at minima)

May I quote from my link above, which I believe nobody clicked on

So it is a question of whether he was above 100ft before he saw the 2nd pic in my last post above. What is 6.5 seconds in terms of vertical feet?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

NCYankee wrote:

That is true, unless of course you video tape the approach and publish it.

Well, at least it makes prosecution more likely. But then again, he would say (as he does on YT) that the camera picks things up “differently” than the human eye and that he did have a half mile of visibility. Hard to argue, and therefore it would likely fall apart.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

boscomantico wrote:

Interesting to find out that in the US, the flight visibility is the only real limit for private ops, whereas in Europe, the RVR is the limit.

Isn’t that the case of attitude to instrument private pilots in Europe vs the US….no one is expecting private pilots to fly on instruments in airways, let alone down to RVR = 500m? tough, in theory, one should be happy with 500m RVR for a PA28 vs a B747

boscomantico wrote:

Jerry does say (in the YT comments section) that he did have half a mile of flight visibility, and of course, he would do so..).

Luckily for him under all scenarios, he would have been able to see the “light at the end of the tunnel”

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

…aaand the video is gone!

ESME, ESMS

Dimme wrote:

…aaand the video is gone!

Why, due to use of inappropriate language at minima?

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

There is a great old English idiom for this situation

I bet half the world has already downloaded it, however

I have videos I couldn’t possibly post. Until some years ago, an N-reg could do a zero-zero departure in Europe. Still can in the US (Part 91). I never did a zero-zero one, due to the obvious practical difficulty (!) but I have some interesting ones… but if one was to post one, one would have to pretend the flight was done x years ago…

Administrator

What is his move to the engine control levers at the minimum?

always learning
LO__, Austria

Hard to discuss a video which doesn’t exist anymore

I’ve just watched it again. At minima he more or less just checks the mixture levers are fully forward. However they were already fully forward, which I find curious… is it normal to fly the whole approach with the engines, at low power, full rich? I don’t do that.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

is it normal to fly the whole approach with the engines, at low power, full rich? I don’t do that.

Yes, because in the event of a go-around you don’t want to start fiddling with the mixture (or prop). The throttle is quite enough.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Indeed, but you won’t be going around until the DH, or when requested by ATC.

I suppose at low level there is no harm in it; you can fly full rich.

Administrator
Sign in to add your message