Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Landing on roads

Not exactly GA, but this is probably the first time the F-35 has landed and took off on ordinary roads. It’s for sure the first time for Norwegian F-35s. It happened in Finland this week. The Fins (and Swedes) has been doing this for as long as anybody can remember I guess. In Norway, flat and straight roads are hard to come by Since Finland is now a part of Nato, and Sweden soon will be, the air forces has been united in a Nordic air force, so they train together. Last month ENOL where full of Fins and Swedes for instance.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Cool, what’s that T-tail in the background? PC12?

always learning
LO__, Austria

Probably. The Finnish air force have some of those.

ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Not sure if this kind of stuff still holds validity in any kind of modern warfare, but of course, only the military think they know the answer…
It was done around here a few times too, albeit in the last century, but there are some rumours.

In the 70’s…

In the 80’s…

Last Edited by Dan at 23 Sep 09:18
Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

Dan wrote:

Not sure if this kind of stuff still holds validity in any kind of modern warfare

Look at Ukraine. The enemy is expected to be the same, and will probably fight in the same manner. The enemy is right across the border from Finland and Norway. It’s more of a tactical thing IMO. Runways are easily damaged. They are also easily fixed, but it takes a day. To keep the aircraft fully operational during that day is a huge advantage compared with no aircraft operational. The article also mentions that they trained on so called “hotpit refueling” on those roads. Land, refuel and rearm while the engine is running, then take off again. It’s clearly a thing that will increase the operational capability of each aircraft. It’s also a signal to Putin of course. You can bomb our airfields (hardly, but still), but you cannot stop our fighters. It’s also a message that the F-35 can be operated from anywhere in Ukraine, and can do so tomorrow if necessary. Which of course is excellent and free PR for Lockheed Martin

ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Quite a few countries have stretches of roads which can be made into air strips in times of crisis. Many of them are not publicly known but exist on maps for the case.

It works quite well. I recall one training we did on the motoway using Hawker Hunters. Great fun.

Dan, most of those “runways” are still there. I hear some of the bridges are too low for the FA18 but they will be fine again for the F35.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Just curious how this works in reality. In case of an imminent extreme threat would aircraft be dispersed to various roads?

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

aart wrote:

Just curious how this works in reality. In case of an imminent extreme threat would aircraft be dispersed to various roads?

I’m sure this is classified information deep inside the Finnish and Swedish bunkers

Just speculating. IMO two main advantages:

• It makes it harder for the enemy to passivate the air force. They have to attack lots of different places at once
  • It makes the units operational despite the runways being inop
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Mooney_Driver wrote:

some of the bridges are too low for the FA18 but they will be fine again for the F35

Thanks for the info @Mooney_Driver, now I’m relieved. Though should war ignite around here, or even in Norway for that matter, I’m not sure any kind of fighter toy would be of much use…

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

Does anyone know anyone who landed on a road and, if so, how much paperwork was there?

I would think one could often take off again (if it was just empty tanks). But I heard that in Europe this is not allowed; only in the US.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
32 Posts
Sign in to add your message