Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Learn German

Hi,

I speak French and English, but I am now trying to fly in Germany. I am learning German, but obviously I can’t ask my teacher any vocabulary in relation to aviation.

I was wondering what simple book I could by to get all the vocabulary in German. Either a book in German and English, or in German only with drawings. Alternatively, a website or a schematic for the aerodrome circuit would be a good start.

Thanks for any help or idea.

Fred

LFOZ Orleans, France, France

Why not join a German-language aviation forum? And do not be afraid to post even if you know your writing is full of errors – Germans are rather tolerant in that corner, unlike the average French(wo)man. Myself an ultralight pilot/owner, I joined ulforum.de for this exact reason.

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

This has German radio messages side by side with English:

http://www.luftsportverein-dinslaken.de/sprechfunk.pdf

The official phrases are here:

http://www.ivao.de/fileadmin/images/Training_Department/nfl.pdf

Circuit is easy:

traffic pattern: Platzrunde
crosswind: Querabflug
downwind: Gegenanflug / right downwind: rechter Gegenanflug
base: Queranflug / right base: rechter Queranflug (or short: rechts quer)
final: Endanflug (or sometimes: Endteil)
runway 25: Piste zwei fünf

If you know the basics of the language, you can learn what you need for approach to small airfields (everything above will speak English) in a few minutes. FIS, ATC, bigger airfields all do English.

runway 25: Piste zwei fünf

Zwo Bier für den Turm ;-)

You have to use “zwo” for the number “two”

Last Edited by terbang at 12 Jul 08:29
EDFM (Mannheim), Germany

Just be careful with Queranflug and Querabflug, it’s not the easiest to hear the difference as a non native speaker. I still always struggle, but the answer is easy, just check both positions on the circuit when you hear a position call containing one of those words.

But the most likely call made is Queranflug so check there first

Last Edited by italianjon at 12 Jul 09:24
EDHS, Germany

Nobody really reports Crosswind (Querabflug), at least I have never heard it in 20 years, so there is no problem.

Gegenanflug: Downwind
Queranflug: Base (pronounce: "Kwehr-Unfloog ;-))

Rechter Gegenanflug: Right Downwind
Rechter Queranflug: Right Base

Last Edited by Flyer59 at 12 Jul 10:03

terbang wrote:

You have to use “zwo” for the number “two”

Rest assured I know German radio telegraphy. It doesn’t matter at all and foreign speakers learn zwei so it’s simpler. There are geriatric aviators who insist one has to say “fünef” instead of “fünf”. And in IFR there’s now the whole debate about “two hundred” versus “two zero zero” etc with different countries using different methods. Lots of variants out there.

It has nothing to do with “geriatric aviators”. “Zwo” for 2 is the recognized standard, just to avoid confusion with “drei” (three).

Two hundred and two zero zero are both used.

But that’s only my opinion.

Flyer59 wrote:

Indeed.

Flyer59 wrote:

Not only yours: https://www.dfs.de/dfs_homepage/de/Services/Customer%20Relations/SERA/NfL%201-251-14%20%28Sprechfunk%29.pdf

But “fünnef” for five really is history.

EDDS - Stuttgart
19 Posts
Sign in to add your message