Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Lenovo Tablet 2

Some pics of the T2 in sunlight...

The visibility of the actual device is a lot better than the photos show.

Running Oziexplorer:

Showing a PDF of a Jepp approach plate:

All completely workable. I did use a matt screen filter though; the Ipad needs it to the same extent.

Battery life, on max brightness, is probably about 5 hours so about the same as the Ipad. But I found that one doesn't need max brightness, and in any case one doesn't need it running the whole time unless using it for constant reference in VFR flight.

I ran it from a bluetooth NMEA GPS and have not yet tested the internal GPS in the TB20 cockpit which in any case uses a special API which most apps won't support. Ozi supports it but e.g. Memory Map doesn't. I don't like the internal GPS because, like on the Ipad's, you can't see the satellite constellation so have little idea of the "quality" of the reception.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Just a little note:

I have in the past written that the T2 will shut down if exposed to direct sunlight. The Ipad for example does that very reliably…

In more tests, it doesn’t shut down if used in its bare form as shown in the photos above. It will shut down if used with the carrying case, apparently due to the back of it having the extra insulating layer.

Out of the case, I could not make it shut down even at FL150.

The Ipad2, however, shuts down at sea level and without any case.

I am still using this device, after 2 years…

Administrator

I have the Microsoft Surface Pro 3 which is an engineering masterpiece. Never thought Microsoft would still be capable of producing something like that. The top end variant costs 2000€ though but it’s simply great.

Showing a PDF of a Jepp approach plate

Brac airport, VOR approach

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

That Surface Pro looks very nice, but I don’t fancy spending yet more of my life configuring the win8 firewall to block the 12345 different Micro$oft services which go on the internet whenever you connect with the satellite phone rendering the connection completely useless.

I know the solution to that (block the lot, except one private wx site – that is basically what all the Iridium based products do) but I also like stuff like email and www.

If these operating systems were smart they would block all background online activity except when you are on wifi… except that all modern satphone solutions do connect via… wifi

Administrator
15 Posts
Sign in to add your message