Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

LIMG Albenga to LFLI Annemasse

At very short notice, due to family issue, I want to fly Albenga to Annemasse tomorrow to catch a commercial flight on from Geneva.

I’m going VFR in a C182.

Looking at the map it looks like I can route low-level past Turin to the east and on to Aosta up the valley, then over a pass to Martigny NW from Aosta and via Bex.

Weather looks totally benign.

Thoughts? Alternatives?

Last Edited by Winston at 24 Sep 19:35
Denham, Elstree, United Kingdom

Well, once more not doing flight planing for any of you guys… but the only other route would be more to the West, (or way East…) say joining into the Rhône Valley first, and then head towards destination. If the WX is ok, a direct route will work fine, unless you’re inclined for some sightseeing along the way. Be prepared to climb, check for the winds at altitude, and don’t get too close to M. Mt. Blanc if windy, he sure deserves respect.

Your plan sounds good, if tomorrow’s WX checks out ok, go for it, and enjoy

Last Edited by Dan at 24 Sep 19:40
Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

Thanks, Dan – all noted. Have done a few hours gliding in the French Alps, but not for a few years. Will check the winds aloft for sure.

Asked for advice only, and will take my own responsibility.

SUPPOSED to have three days in a nice hotel near Albenga, but such is fate.

Ok @Winston, you picked my curiosity, and I finally had a look at he SD map.
The WX is predicted as good. Not sure about your mount, and not sure what you’re looking for with your routing. Scenically your intended route, via Martigny etc, is fine. It also offers quite a few enroute alternates.
OTOH, if you’re in a hurry, if your mount has the performance, etc, a route West of Cuneo would be more direct, but you’d be flying pretty hi (for whatever SEP you’re riding), in the 10K+. Again, too many unknowns as to your ride, experience, etc.

If unsure, file conservative as in your first post, and if all stars line up, take the aimed for shortcuts, and enjoy the ride

Dan
LSZF, Switzerland

Hmm… I like west of Cuneo better than my original plan to the east of Turin. Thank you.

I’m certain I can make it around LIR64 to the west and then I’ll see whether we can go directly north or whether we need to swing east and up the Aosta valley if we can’t get much over FL105. Even if so, the time is the same as my original route.

We have oxygen but it’s a NA engine.

Take care if you go around Mont Blanc, there are MIL spaces around and unfortunately, they are ot kidding anymore.
Turin then Val di Susa to Briancon, then follow the D1091 or either a bit north to Maurienne Valley is some other roads to Chambery if weather permits.

LFMD, France

Flown this morning. My confidence was less this morning so I went east of Turin at 2400ft and then up the Aosta valley to Gran St Bernard at 10500ft and down the other side.

Thanks for all the advice – very easy today given reasonable temperatures, CAVOK and literally close to zero wind.

Thanks for the feedback @Winston, always good to hear when someone had a good time

Went for a quick engine warming (before 50h inspection) spin thru the Alps this morning, and yes, very nice conditions today though we had some wind, about 20kts, when passing by the Eiger/Jungfrau region.

Dan
LSZF, Switzerland

My ignorance is such that I took photos of both “pointy Alps” to the NE, but I don’t know if they were the Matterhorn and/or the Eiger. Admittedly along with Mt Blanc those are the only three named peaks I know!

Spectacular, despite not knowing their names.

Well, don’t worry about them names… I sure only know of the famous ones myself

But you most probably saw the Matterhorn on your right, and majestic Mt. Blanc on your left. The Eiger would not have been visible at this altitude as it is on the northern side of the Alps.

Dan
LSZF, Switzerland
16 Posts
Sign in to add your message