Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

LIRA Ciampino - Warning

Urbe airport was closed without prior notice due to no medical care service (30.12.22)
and we landed at LIRA Ciampino (10nm away)
Regardless the airport was empty and endless parking space available, we had to move the plane to Urbe airport the next day in the morning.
They told us „no parking space available“

We had to wait for the fuel truck 40 minutes, another 30 minutes for the printed airport invoice.

For landing and 18h parking we paid for a Meridian:

405€ for the handler (Argos/Aviapartner)
195 € for landing and parking

Avoid if you can, It‘s a ripp off airport!

EDMA, Germany

Wow – that is abusive. Is Urbe more reasonable? It sure is close to the “action” in Rome! I have not flown into Rome, but hope to in the coming months – I have a team down in Frascati.

Fly more.
LSGY, Switzerland

Interesting. Sounds like some other places…

Please try to do a report for our airport database also. That will reach a lot of people.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Fjkuth wrote:

Urbe airport was closed without prior notice due to no medical care service (30.12.22)

What!? Do Italian rules say that you can’t land at an airport unless medical care service is available? That’s almost as pointless as the German Flugleiterpflicht.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

I departed in Malta and informed Urbe airport about my arrival 1 day before.
I didn’t receive any message back from them and prior to the departure I checked the NOTAMS anyway.
Maybe 15 min. prior to the landing ATC informed me that the airport is closed, because no medical service is available.
I told them that I need no medical service, but that didn’t change the situation.
I had to land at this robbery Airport LIRA.

@Peter, yes I reported it already in the airport database too.

EDMA, Germany

Something might have been lost in translation and it could be related to this, which has been in the AIP for LIRU for a few years now:

It has been reported that this is difficult because that customs office does not accept communications in English. And an email to the airport likely is not sufficient anyway.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Urbe might be surprising for each pilot. We went there once. 30 minutes before landing we where told by ATC, that Urbe will be closed at the time of our arrival, we will be 6 minutes to late. There was no international NOTAM, but they mentioned in Urbe later, that they do have a kind of local NOTAMs, we should have checked in advance. But no chance to find them anywhere and they didn‘t want to show them to us because it was closed now, and they where about to leave (our Italian speaking is not good enough for an intense discussion).
We made it to arrive in time, by a highspeed decent direct to threshold from FL 120 and IR canceling short before the landing, approved by ATC. We landed exactly in time, behind us they let the bulldozers on the runway due of the construction work. So that time, there was a real reason, but to get reliable information in advance is really difficult.

EDDS , Germany

What!? Do Italian rules say that you can’t land at an airport unless medical care service is available?

I heard this was removed from ICAO AD standards for non-commercial flights

Maybe 15 min. prior to the landing ATC informed me that the airport is closed, because no medical service is available.

What if one declares an emergency to land at Urbe?

I wonder if the requirement for medical services as in “health & sanitary controls” is CV19 related? rather than RFFS services for fire & emergencies?

Last Edited by Ibra at 03 Jan 08:43
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

I thought the UK NHS secured the entire world’s supply of fax machines?

Obviously that number will not work for fax, which is actually a pity because email2fax is very easy. But don’t they have an email address? Only a complete moron would publish a fax number today, and no email address.

What if one declares an emergency to land at Urbe?

The Q you should be asking is: do I speak Italian?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

You should have ahd disputed all the charges: yours was a diversion so no landing charges and probably no handling charges either. Get in contact with Italy AOPA. Send also an email to enac.

22 Posts
Sign in to add your message