Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Looking for a hand pump for Avgas in drums

Does anybody have experience with hand pumps for Avgas in drums and can maybe point me to a good one?

I’ve been trawling the internet for a while but what I found on eBay or Amazon didn’t satisfy me. Some seem to be only usable with somewhat lubrifying fluids like diesel or fuel oil. Others, that are apparently ok to be used with gasoline, are made of cast iron and are very heavy. I’d like to take it on the plane and would probably rarely (never?) use it.

EDFM (Mannheim), Germany

I think you would be VERY unlucky to get to a place that only has fuel in drums, but doesn’t have a pump. I have only refueled from drums a few times (always in Africa) and the local fueller had both drums and pump.

A small electric pump will work much faster than any hand pump.

You just need to avoid sparks In practice this means the pump being airtight-enclosed (commutator sparks) unless it has a 3 phase brushless motor, and the wires to the battery are a few m long.

I use this chink one, Ebay

for transferring diesel from jerrycans to my car. I keep 40L reserve in cans to double the max fuel delivery driver strike duration from 1 month to 2 months, and the stuff needs rotating Weight maybe 1kg.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Prior to my little Tour, I also had a look for a hand pump for those remote places…
And this the hitech equipment I used for transfer, twice in northern Canada:

A cheap Chinese wiggle hose, a Mr. Funnel funnel, and a collapsible water fuel compatible tank. Light, cheap, small. And time demanding.

Now there are 2 types of hand pumps one can use, the rotary (heavy and bulky, but good flow), or the lever type (smaller, lighter, not as fast)

Here a couple of options for hand rotary and lever hand pumps:

Were I to do a similar kind of trip, I’d use my on-board electrical transfer pump. I use it to transfer fuel between my black rubber passenger girlfriend aux tank, and the right wing tank.
The pump is held with 1 screw, and using longer hoses and electrical lead (a Merit plug on a 10A dedicated outlet, the pump pulls about 2.5A) one could quite easily use it to suck the fuel from a barrel to the airplane’s tank. I bought a Chinese replica (Aliexpress) of this one: Holley In-Line Fuel Pum 80 gph

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

Thank you for all the input, especially Dan for the exhaustive list!

Still thinking about it. As 172driver wrote, most likely there is a pump where there are Avgas drums but of course you’re screwed if there isn’t. I’ll probably either go for a light weight plastic handle type pump or even just a wiggle hose and a jerry can.

EDFM (Mannheim), Germany

Got this cheap plastic pump thing (best description) in the back of the airplane just in case. Never used it though, but no reason it shouldn’t work just fine for a while.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

I am using these(translate if needed):
https://www.bucken.se/product.html/havert

You can have a long(and larger diameter) one from the barrel and a shorter one to use from the jerry can to the aircraft tank. They weigh nothing.

So two of those, a jerry can(or fuel bag) and a funnel should help you in any situation and cost very little in weight.

ESSZ, Sweden
7 Posts
Sign in to add your message