Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Looking for a Mooney - advice welcome

Nice debate. Here’s my contribution. I was involved with a group and buying a Mooney in 1992. We looked at J and K models and rejected the K as at the time it was getting a pretty bad rap for overheating, and this is referred to in the 231/252 comparison. I get the impression that time has shown the K to be more favourable than was perhaps the case in ’92.

However, the other thing that has happened in the same time is that the J has gained a reputation for being a real sweet spot in terms of IFR personal transport vs ownership costs. It achieves that sweet spot performance by making all sorts of compromises, many of which are mentioned here. I’ll add my own: it is pretty bad in ice. The reason it goes so fast on so little power is by virtue of being slippery. Add a sugar frosting of ice and performance drops quite quickly. The aircraft is polarising – folk either love them or hate them based on the compromises.

I loved flying my one. Took it to FL180 and also recall a trip from Cambridge to Copenhagen, going the longer way to reduce the sea crossing – and used less than half tanks.

As a footnote, sold my share in 2000 to buy a Twin Comanche. I love the twincom even more, which is just as well as it is a very, very long way from the M20J’s cost/performance sweet spot!

Forgot to mention: join whatever owners’ group/forums first, and then make your choice about type and about specific airframe

Lovely plane John. I see you have the single piece windshield and a 3 blade prop.

The M20C has a 180hp carburettor Lycoming -O360 engine, the M20E has the 200hp Lycoming IO360 which is fuel injected and IMHO is much better.

I agree. There are also only about half of them available. The E Model was produced from 1964 to 1975 while the C started out in 1962 and was only discontinued in 1978. As a result, the C is the most sold Mooney of all times with 2199 exemplars (followed by the 201 with 2131) while there were 1478 E models and 1719 F’s.

On the modern Mooneys, the 201 is the most produced with 2131 followed by the K (231 and 252) with 1202.

Add: Can only add what Alan sais. The place for Mooneyacs is Mooneyspace.

Last Edited by Mooney_Driver at 05 Dec 15:23
LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Hi Urs,

how many time you have to pump before the gear is retracted?

As a sideline – EASA now allows a lot of pilot maintenance as well.

At least FOCA doesn’t seem to allow any pilot maintenance if the aircraft is IFR certified.

LSZK, Switzerland

Pump, not at all.

It is a direct mechanical link, one lever which is locked under the dashboard when the gear is down. Once airborne, unlock it, swing it to the floor and lock it there and the gear is up. Same in reverse for extension, really straightforward. The site below shows how it’s done.

Landing Gear Operation by Don Maxwell

Flaps are hydraulic. 2x pump is take off position, 4x is landing position.

Last Edited by Mooney_Driver at 06 Dec 10:14

Link

This pretty nice 231 just turned up on planecheck.

Nice find Mooney Driver. That is a lot of plane for a very reasonable price. Question, can the VAT be reclaimed in any fashion on an EU transaction like that?

Reading the notes, the return of the item to the UK would attract 20%, so does that mean you could reclaim 1% on return to UK?

Fly safe. I want this thing to land l...
EGPF Glasgow

BTW, just found back this blog. Shows nicely what a C Model Mooney can do :)

Link

I flew this plane with its owner shortly before it got sold. Very nice example of a modified C.

49 Posts
Sign in to add your message