Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Looking for tech stop recommendation western Germany

I would appreciate any suggestions on the following as my knowledge of flying in Germany is very limited.

In a few days my wife and I will be flying to Germany from the UK. We will be able to make it non-stop on the way there thanks to good tailwinds – 3hrs 15 in the Jetprop, 850 NM.

For the return we will almost certainly need a good refuelling stop somewhere in the western half of Germany, or Belgium. I have used Schwabisch Hall EDTY for this is in the past, but would prefer something further west.

It needs to be an IFR airfield, with Jet A, customs and immigration to leave the EU for the UK, quick turnaround and not too expensive. Schwabisch Hall has these characteristics but it is not quite far west enough for this trip. Somewhere west of the Rhine and east of Luxembourg would be ideal.

I look forward to providing a few details on the trip once it is over. We have decided to fly into the VFR airfield for Budapest Tokol LHTL. Very accommodating and not expensive.

Many thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Upper Harford private strip UK, near EGBJ, United Kingdom

IFR airfield, with Jet A, customs and immigration to leave the EU for the UK, quick turnaround and not too expensive

EBKT

EBST, Belgium

In Germany, Mönchengladbach EDLN would be your choice. Absolutely zero charme, no food, and a 50€ landing fee for your bird, but has what you want.

Further south, Saarbrücken EDDR also qualifies. Just as charmeless as EDLN.

P.S. Kortrijk is indeed a good one, and likely with a bit cheaper fuel. Unfortunately, it requires that dreadful online gendec for the police, of which you then have to send an email copy to Customs.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 30 Jul 19:46
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Check ELLX, we have cheap gas here, 100LL is 2.2€/L atm. Although I don’t know about refueling JetA1 and the prices for that but I suspect it could also be quite cheap.

EDIT: Have you checked EDRZ? https://www.edrz-airport.de/piloteninfo/#kraftstoffpreise

Last Edited by hazek at 30 Jul 20:25
ELLX, Luxembourg

Why not Dortmund or Paderborn?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Dortmund is over 100 Euros in fees for a Jetprop. Paderborn would work.

ELLX would likely (depending on the fuel uplift) be the overall least expensive of them all.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

I did just investigate a similar scenario. The issue is that many German airfields, even bigger ones, only offer passport control with significant prior notice. The best option is probably ELLX. I inquired and received the price list below but then was able to fly non stop:

ELLX:
Handling fees 125€/ 50% discount on FUEL STOP
Handling charges are increased by 50 % :
- for all operations from 22:00pm to 06:00am, per movement
- flights operating on Sunday and Bank Holidays
PPR fees 30€
Administrative fees 15€
Terminal navigation charges 27.98€
Landing charges Lux-Airport 7€
Take off charges Lux-Airport 7€
General Aviation cost 10.25€/ passengers
Parking fees free from 0 to 4hours then 2.50€/24H

JetA1 seems to be around 1,40EUR / liter for private use with all taxes at ELLX.

My next option was EBOS, charges are probably lower but fuel it 0,50 EUR more per liter.

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

Many thanks for the suggestions. I am looking into them.

Upper Harford private strip UK, near EGBJ, United Kingdom

I suggest EDWE (Emden) for cloud breaking if necessary and than go 6 min to the south to EDWF (Leer-Papenburg). 1200m Rwy, Jet A1 for 2,30€ (today) and no landing fee if you refuel.Border control you have to talk with the airport. Nearly every day they have a departure and an arrival to/from Finland, so it should be no problem to organise.

EDWF, Germany

Bearing in mind this I would think the OP wants an airport where the police are on site during HRS AD

Otherwise it won’t be a “tech stop”

That is why I mentioned Dortmund.

You really really do not want to upset the German police. We have a number of threads here discussing the risks of getting this wrong.

Also remember there is no “tech stop” in GA. From the UK you need to clear full customs and immigration even if you remain airside. Many threads e.g. here. You can do it “accidentally” at some places, via staff ignorance, and people do, but in general you can’t do it because – see various threads – any subsequent airport will assume you cleared schengen, which you obviously did not And that’s before we get onto this great topic

Personally I would do LFAT…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
14 Posts
Sign in to add your message