Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Looking for tips on upgrading an OLD panel

Any chance of a panel photo, Krister?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Discussed millions of times here…on an EASA-reg., getting an aftermarket installed GNS430 approach-approved costs thousands in paperwork alone.

He said he was on a tight budget…

What he did not say was:

-what exactly does he want to do with the aircraft
-where does he want to fly IFR (which countries, which airspace classes)
-what type of approaches does he eant to be able to fly
-is he willing to fly IFR without an autopilot?
-etc.

To little infos for anyone to be able to give tangible advice.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

In most situation a WAAS GNS even when bought for a low price, will be more expensive then a Garmin GTN. This is because the WAAS version is considerd a major change, which requires an expensive design report. Only when the manufacturer has approved a WAAS version as option, it would be a senseable option.

The GTN comes with a free FAA and EASA STC for the most common general aviation aircraft. That is the reason why a new GTN will be less expensive installed then an older second hand WAAS GNS.

As topic starter is talking about an older aircraft, I would recommend to go for a second hand GNS, or a new GTN. For both you can download simulator, recommend to try that first an see what suits your needs best.

JP-Avionics
EHMZ

Yep, here’s a shot of it.
It has the old autopilot fitted at the time, altimatic III or whatever.
I think we’ll make do with any GPS that can be certified to RNP 10, it’ll be mainly for routing purposes. These days it doesn’t make any sense to try and fly IFR with basic avionics, there aren’t enough VORs to provide coverage at lower levels (here) so a GPS is definitely a must. The real issue is the upcoming 8,33 kHz requirement.

ESSB, Stockholm Bromma

Bosco,

I fly plenty IFR in the Jet and this pony is not intended to replace that in any form or fashion. What we want is to have it GPS equipped and approved to fly IFR en-route. Approaches will be the standard stuff and I don’t mind hand flying although it has a rudimentary AP. We’re not looking to build an all weather cruiser.

Regarding the GTN. I haven’t tried one but having flown with knobs and switches for 20+ yrs I’m not so sure I like the idea. Is it really an improvement or is this just a sign of the times?

Last Edited by Krister_L at 08 Jun 21:55
ESSB, Stockholm Bromma

That is why trying the simulators is a good idea. Most of my customers with GTN are quite happy with it, even in turbulenance. It depends on your personal preference. I would recommend you to consider a GNS (non WAAS) or GTN as replacement of the KX-165. You might also consider a mode S transponder if you would like to fly IFR abroad. I would recommend to have a look a Trig TT-31, as it has ADS-B out option as standard. Their quality is very good, and should something go wrong, their service and support is the best you will find.

JP-Avionics
EHMZ

Is it really an improvement or is this just a sign of the times?

It really is. With the 430W I always intuitively twiddle the wrong knob. The 650 took me about 5 minutes to get comfortable with.

LSZK, Switzerland
Last Edited by Bathman at 09 Jun 05:51

We’re not looking to build an all weather cruiser.

You will never get an all weather cruiser in the piston GA game — not until you get to pressurisation and radar. But you know that

If this was me, I would install a used GNS530W and some kind of CDI to enable flying hand of ILS and LPV. That will give you

• a good 8.33 radio
  • a nice screen for situational awareness (way better than a GNS430/W or a GTN650)
  • good European IFR capability (not high altitude but with good wx you don’t need that)

Jesse knows his stuff and a number of people I know have gone to him for installations and were very pleased.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I think we’ll make do with any GPS that can be certified to RNP 10, it’ll be mainly for routing purposes.

You mean RNP 5?

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden
Sign in to add your message