Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Looking for tips on upgrading an OLD panel

Ok, the old frikkin navigation via GPS en-route without any precision, capisce?
You guys have too much time – go fly some more…

ESSB, Stockholm Bromma

You mean RNP 5?
Yes, indeed, or B-RNAV per the old nomenclature.

RNAV 5

RNP includes onboard monitoring PBN has made a clear difference IMHO

Last Edited by Vref at 09 Jun 15:11
EBST

This reminds me of a comment by C210_Flyer in another thread.

I thought the EU was supposed to be one big happy family. On second thought, with one exception…. or maybe two.

Given all the pan-European regulation we now have, SERA, FCL, NCO… one would think that things should be pretty much the same all across Europe. Not.

LFPT, LFPN

Yes, your are right.

I would never fly IFR without a good autopilot, so what i write is very subjective anyway.

I don’t fly serious IFR single pilot without a good autopilot, nor is it legal in Germany

Sorry… I know what you want to say, but interest of our European friends here, we have to be precise:

It’s not that it’s not legal in Germany, it’s that it’s not legal on a D-reg. It doesn’t apply if you fly, say, an SE-reg in Germany.

And then only if it’s single pilot.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

one would have to replace all radios as the older ones could interfere with the intermediate frequencies.

Huh? All receivers built during the last couple of decades are (Super)Heterodyne (that principle was invented 1918, so long ago even by aviation standards), and their IF sections better be shielded well enough that you can operate two radios in receive mode at the same time. In many small GA installations you cannot receive with one radio during transmit of the other radio anyway due to antenna proximity.

So the deciding factor whether you need to replace all radios is the state of registry, i.e. how many radios they think are required to be 8.33 in order to get 8.33 status.

As @Jesse already wrote, I don’t see the point of installing a (4/5)30(W). In EASA land the lack of AML STC likely more than consumes the savings over a new GTN. That is until PPL/IR manages to get an AML STC for the x30W, but it’s been quite silent on this front, so I wouldn’t hold my breath. And you’ll be installing a product discontinued by the manufacturer, where they can discontinue support anytime (eg. due to lack of spare parts).

Last Edited by tomjnx at 09 Jun 07:48
LSZK, Switzerland

No, but for hand flying an occasional ILS or LNAV approach a normal 430 is really all you need. and I don’t fly serious IFR single pilot without a good autopilot, nor is it legal in Germany

You mean RNP 5?

Yes, indeed, or B-RNAV per the old nomenclature.
Looks like the “only” reasonable option is the Garmin. With regards to 8.33 kHz, what are you guys planning to do with your kit? From what I can understand, one would have to replace all radios as the older ones could interfere with the intermediate frequencies. Yes / No?

ESSB, Stockholm Bromma

And for W to really make sense you’d need a good autopilot etc.

Why is that? Or do you feel that an ILS also needs a good autopilot?

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

I think we’ll make do with any GPS that can be certified to RNP 10, it’ll be mainly for routing purposes.

You mean RNP 5?

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden
29 Posts
Sign in to add your message