Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Low visibility takeoff (and landing, too) FAA/EASA

Peter wrote:

Coming back to the question of pilot-interpreted takeoff visibility requirement (where no official RVR is available) is there any way to find out which countries have this AMC, in addition to the UK?

An AMC is an AMC. It is available to any operator subject to EASA Ops rules.

Peter wrote:

So this AMC is merely acknowledging the obvious – correct?

I think that’s a fair assessment.

A consideration with low visibility take off is if you have a problem where are you going to land if the visibility is below instrument approach minimum.

Coming back to the question of pilot-interpreted takeoff visibility requirement (where no official RVR is available) is there any way to find out which countries have this AMC, in addition to the UK?

On a practical note, surely in the absence of RVR measurement equipment, the departure vis has to be pilot-interpreted, and there is no way anybody but the pilot can know what it really was on the runway. There is AFAIK no limitation on the vis for taxiing a plane around an airport. So this AMC is merely acknowledging the obvious – correct?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Very enlightening, Cirrus_Man. Thank you. Do you have a reference to some document on the Cirrus web site or elsewhere just in case someone asks?

LFPT, LFPN

The official Cirrus position on flaps is to maintain 50% flaps until visual but if you hit 500ft altitude, then DO NOT reconfigure to full flaps as this change of configuration so close to the ground creates instability and if you “pop up” when going to full flaps, it could also put you back in the “soup”.

The new “Cirrus Approach” online course is excellent although it is geared to the Perspective Avionics.

EGKB Biggin Hill London

If I’d have quit every time my instructors spoke with me in a rough way, I’d have been done so several times

Me too. The GA scene is full of “big character” bar-propper types who tell great (mostly fake) stories. I’d say 50% of the types I flew with should not be instructing at all. If I ran a school I would not employ them, due to the risk of an action for sexual harrassment of female students.

In fact I did walk out of one school, partly due to that sort of thing, but it cost me dearly. Wasted maybe 20hrs of training, and some exam passes got lost so I had to re-do them.

Damn… off topic

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

europaxs wrote:

If I’d have quit every time my instructors spoke with me in a rough way, I’d have been done so several times

I’ve fired two instructors because of their behaviours. Both in the US. No reason to put up with any screaming in the airplane. Especially if it is for chewing me out for checking ATIS before taxiing to the fuel pump on the other side of the KOAK airport which involves quite a long taxi with runway crossing and potentially closed taxiways.

LFPT, LFPN

Flyer59 wrote:

That was also the moment when I lost it and told the CFII that if he ever dared to speak with me (the customer) in that tone I’d change the school or quit the course altogether

EDLE

OK I understand now, I thought you were doing approaches for your IR training. To be fair you never actually said that, it was my mistaken assumption. Sorry.

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

Sorry, my mistake.
Our airport is uncontrolled and has no IAP, those were all VVR approaches coming back from IFR training. Still, I never flew like that before and I still don’t do it.

65 Posts
Sign in to add your message