Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Lunch and fuel stop somewhere in Southern France?

That’s the page of the restaurant at Avignon. Does look like it exists and I remember speaking with them on the phone sometime in August. They called one of the patrons over to speak with me in English. :-)

Frequent travels around Europe

If it’s open it should be very good. A friend of mine who learned to fly with Air France said that they would always stop their on training flights and that the place was legendary among French pilots.

Flyer59 wrote:

If it’s open it should be very good. A friend of mine who learned to fly with Air France said that they would always stop their on training flights and that the place was legendary among French pilots.

Well… Then I should plan to stop there this week and report back.

LFMV ticks all the other boxes. ILS, Air BP self-service fuel station, ATC in English :-)

Hi!
I can confirm that the restaurant at Avignon LFMV is open and worth a visit. Gap LFNA is also very good with a lovely view from the terrace. If a grass runway is ok, you may try Montelimar LFLQ, a great restaurant which also features a lovely aviation museum held by a bunch of enthusiasts.

Le Castellet LFMQ have raised their landing fees significantly over the last few years (I don’t recall how much exactly but several tens of euros), so I don’t go there anymore.

My favourite: Aurillac LFLW, but probably a bit off-route. It’s Total too, but I remember it being manned so paying via credit card should be feasible.

LFNR

I assume on the A/A frequencies French is the preferred language. English would be ok too – right?

That appears to be a common misconception. If the AIP says FR only, that’s what it is.

The restaurant at Avignon LFMV is very good. It claims to be Italian, which it is not really. I think you can call it Mediterranean. Somewhat expensive but good value.

LFPT, LFPN

Mama Mia is open and very full. I’m sitting outside in the sun.

First part

Approach was through some low cloud BKN005 in front of the runway. Picture shows the Rhone valley.

Main course

Avignon is a good lunch stop. There is some entertainment too: a Pilatus PC-12 flying patterns, a really big Super Puma helicopter in between all kinds of small airplanes. For some reason the PC-12 lands from both sides of the runway. Wind is calm.

Good! Added to the mental list!

Avignon is a great destination anyway, especially during the incredible annual theatre festival in July.

Should " Mama Mia " be closed there is another restaurant at the airport just 150m walking distance towards the first roundabout, called " Grill Courtepaille ".
Open from 1100 to 2300h. Not bad – I was there for lunch last August waiting for friends arriving delayed. And that was around 1500 local …

Last Edited by nobbi at 05 Nov 17:14
EDxx, Germany

Sorry for restarting an old thread: can somebody recommend an avgas stop near Lyon (max 50nm away) for my rv7a? Should be cheap (both avgas and landing), accept visa/mastercard (or cash), and with tarmac runway (no grass). And not an altiport. Thanks

United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message