Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

PA28 Replacement LED Landing Light

@Ultranomad

Any hints to the Aliexpress products? (Name, part number etc.), a quick search did not bring up satisfactory results.

Regards,
Carmine

Last Edited by slowflyer at 30 Apr 12:06
EDAQ, Germany

Carmine, the one I have is from here. This one still has an unterminated pigtail rather than screw terminals, but otherwise looks very similar to the product in question.

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

Thanks for the link @Ultranomad, unfortunately it does not work for me but i get the idea

EDAQ, Germany

The link works for me. Maybe there is some client-side blocking of Aliexpress – a chinese website? This is the image I see

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Access to other aliexpress sites and competitors (eg Banggood, yes, that’s really what they call themselves) does work. Would be nice to know, what might be the reason for the blocking. I tried from several platforms, so it seem to be rather country related.

EDAQ, Germany

I have just discovered that Greece is blocking access to certain sites, so this is happening closer to home. The solution, of course, is a VPN terminating somewhere where nothing is blocked. The UK is fine for that. What do the 100,000,000 Brits living in Spain do to watch BBC Iplayer, now that Onspeed is gone?

These cheap LEDs don’t sound too great. If you are upgrading, you want the most light you can get, not less. GA lamps are only barely adequate anyway. For example in the TB20 you cannot taxi in total darkness (and with no taxi edge lights) if you have to make a right turn.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I would guess that 18 watts of LED is approx equivalent to a 60 watt traditional lamp.

What I would be really interested in is say a 40-50 watt LED which would throw out much more light than the original filament lamps.

I also looked around for a HID type but the control gear was often attached to the back of the lamp and wouldn’t fit in a PA28-181. Does anybody know of a much brighter LED or a HID type with separate control gear?

It would be good to fly around with it switched on all of the time to be more conspicuous.

United Kingdom

Is a big light the best way to be conspicuous?

Perhaps a dual channel approach is the way to go. LED lights can be fitted as long as they have an ETSO with just an hours work to do the paperwork ( EASA form 123 )

ADS-B can be enabled in a similar way under CS-STAN as can some of the more inexpensive traffic systems, most of these will detect ADS-B, & mode S emmiting targets as well as having FLARM that detects gliders.

A_and_C wrote:

Perhaps a dual channel approach is the way to go. LED lights can be fitted as long as they have an ETSO with just an hours work to do the paperwork ( EASA form 123 )

Landing lights don’t need an ETSO according to CS-STAN.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Apparently you are correct about landing lights but Navigation & strobe lighting require an ETSO..

Sign in to add your message