Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

PA28 Replacement LED Landing Light

which makes some sense because these are a regulatory requirement, but the landing light isn’t….

except – how many bureaucrats does one need to change a lightbulb?

Biggin Hill

For HID lamps I know of http://www.loprestiaviation.com/
EASA STC 10055183 (validation of FAA STC SA02279AT) has the PA-28-181 in the AML list

I have them in my Cessna P210 and I’m happy with them.

ELLX

Recently Iwas asked to re-fit the LED lights on a customers aircraft, it these lights did not have the usual paperwork and clearly are not sold for aircraft use.

As noted above landing lights do not require an ETSO or any other sort of certification so the fitment was leagal from a point of view of fitting.

The problems started when trying to set the lights to the aircraft manufacturers maintenance manual instructions, It became quite clear that an LED light intended for a tractor has a spread of light intended for lighting a field when traveling at 7kts rather than a runway when traveling at 65 kts.

I have no doubt these lights seemed like a bargain at the time probably costing 5 % of the price of an aircraft unit but as they are100% useless for landing an aircraft at night It seems like a very poor bargain.

All very useful information, thanks people

Now retired from forums best wishes

We have an automotive lighting business. HID is dead end technology, LEDs are getting better every year

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)
35 Posts
Sign in to add your message