Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Garmin GI275

Peter wrote:

Is anyone able to source these?

The GI275 units with ADAHRS or ADAHRS+AP are covered by Garmin’s dealer installation policy and can’t just be sold over the counter. The supplying dealer must either install it or have an active involvement, maintain oversight and take responsibility for the work.

The basic MFD used for various functions such as CDI or EIS can be sold without restriction.

Avionics geek.
Somewhere remote in Devon, UK.

GA_Pete wrote:

Slightly off topic but I wanted a GI 275 for my 210 but there’s no STC yet.
No idea how long I’ll have to wait.

Can’t it be installed under an EASA minor mod approval?

Last Edited by lionel at 14 Mar 18:53
ELLX

If you want to drive an autopilot from it you will need, practically speaking, an STC.

In FAA-land one could probably do it via a Field Approval, in theory at least.

At the other end of the scale, non-required instruments (flowmeters, engine monitors, etc) are easy (again, in FAA-land); you just need a TSO and probably not even that. So you can install more or less anything TSOd in that way.

The GI275 units with ADAHRS or ADAHRS+AP are covered by Garmin’s dealer installation policy and can’t just be sold over the counter. The supplying dealer must either install it or have an active involvement, maintain oversight and take responsibility for the work.

Sure; officially. But if say you have an aircraft based in a 3rd world country then you have to, ahem, improvise… Garmin do sell into the US homebuilt market directly, but they keep a low profile on it.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

There is now an STC to allow instalation in varying formats for many types.
I can’t remember when but it was earlier this year.
I was contacted by my installer to confirm.
However for a few different reasons I have put the installation on hold until later this year.

United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Sure; officially. But if say you have an aircraft based in a 3rd world country then you have to, ahem, improvise… Garmin do sell into the US homebuilt market directly, but they keep a low profile on it.

Garmin direct to end-user and not through a dealer? I’d be very surprised at that. For home-built aircraft, non-installing distributors such as Spruce can supply.

Avionics geek.

I had a brief conversation with a Garmin rep on a US site 2-3 years ago. Garmin wanted evidence the aircraft is non-certified. The exact supply chain (direct or via someone) I don’t know about.

Fairly obviously one “can get” anything, via a dealer who will buy it and sell it on without asking questions. For years a well known UK firm was selling on GNS boxes, quote openly and with Garmin’s tacit approval. I have in the past been offered a whole G500+GTN kit. The gotcha with that is that there is no meaningful warranty cover (which i’d say is relevant if you are paying say 30k). But there is no useful warranty anyway if the customer is miles from nowhere. It’s like a warranty on an engine overhaul done 5000 miles away. Or a warranty on a parachute

The guy I mentioned is an old friend who has no dealer support where he is, but he has good electronic expertise locally.

My specific advice to him was to 100% verify with Garmin that the GI275 has been tested with the KFC225… A lot of stuff shown in IMs was never actually tested. The KFC225 uses a nonstandard excitation frequency for the pitch and roll LVDTs (~500Hz instead of 400Hz, IIRC; this was posted here before) and as a result certain KI256 emulating products, which 100% perfectly test in a standard KI256 production test rig (described in the KI256 MM) do not work with the KFC225. In the case of one I know about, the gain was too low or too high (can’t recall which) and the aircraft porpoised in pitch, and rolled excessively. It could be made to work by messing with the signals, of course… You don’t want to rip out the KI256 and the whole vac system and then discover this especially if you obtained this ITAR controlled piece of top secret nuclear technology via an illicit route

FWIW, the GAD43 (the G500’s KI256 emulator) does work with the KFC225, but that isn’t wholly conclusive w.r.t. the GI275.

Administrator

lionel wrote:

Can’t it be installed under an EASA minor mod approval?

If a plane is on the AML of the FAA STC, it can be applied for at EASA by using this form:

https://www.easa.europa.eu/document-library/application-forms/focert00134

Cost is 200€.

Last Edited by Snoopy at 15 Mar 07:42
always learning
LO__, Austria

The EASA one-off STC validation is only available to applicants based in a Member-State, so no good anymore in the UK. I wonder if the CAA are offering the same process?

Avionics geek.

The GI 275 is already EASA approved under STC 10075142, no need for a one-off anymore.

T28
Switzerland

This is a dual GI275 installation in a TB20

Apparently it was done at EDLE by someone called AirMarin.

Administrator
Sign in to add your message