Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

What airspace requires 2x Com Radios?

To be honest these days even with a basic trig radio it’s very easy. As one can monitor the stanby frequency

ATIS on ground phone & handheld, in the air, for the moment rusty 25khz COM2 but need to dial it unlike COM1 where it dials by itself

On good days, I may skip ATIS saying Info & QNH like the previous guy

Last Edited by Ibra at 04 Feb 14:24
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Sort of begs the question, is one good new radio like a GNC255A with the monitor function enough for all situations? We don’t carry 2 transponders on most GA aircraft so why double up on the radios. There may be some situations where having the P2 being able to use Com 2 independently would maybe be an advantage but I can’t see that being a common occurrence. We are buying radios at the moment. We are going to go with something like:

GMA340
Aera 660 in Airgizmo Dock with Xaon PCAS
GNC255a
KN64
KR87
GTX33
Dual G5’s
USB Power
Yoke iPad with Skyecho

Whatever is in italics, I have sitting on my desk ready to go. GPS/LPV/WAAS approaches won’t mean much to me, and neither will Garmin’s visual approaches as I have my own visual approaches The end-user for this aeroplane if I sell it will be in Mexico, Brazil, Africa and I think they would be chuffed silly with that lot.

Buying, Selling, Flying
EISG, Ireland

I’m not usually talking to ATC immediately prior to picking up ATIS. If I am, I either get from en route ATC (In the US they will often provide ATIS when passing you to Tower frequency) or I get it between talking with en route ATC and Tower. I don’t find it problematic to be out of contact with ATC for two minutes in Class E airspace.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 04 Feb 14:34

My view would be that if a txp fails, it is no big deal (except you won’t be able to get an IFR clearance to enter CAS, if not in CAS already, and they may even push you out) but if your only radio fails you have a huge problem.

At least you have the problem of getting back home to a busy circuit.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

if your only radio fails you have a huge problem.

That seems to be the case in some areas of Europe, but not elsewhere. in the US, I would just continue to whatever uncontrolled airport was closest to my destination, if it isn’t already my destination.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 04 Feb 15:26

I think a backup radio is better than nothing (you can get 25khz for postage fee and new handheld is 300$)

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Ibra wrote:

I think a backup radio is better than nothing (you can get 25khz for postage fee and new handheld is 300$)

I could leave a MK12D or MX300 in there but it looks messy. Maybe I will consider selling both of them and having a backup Trig 3 1/8" for such situations.

Buying, Selling, Flying
EISG, Ireland

Personally I feel a handheld transceiver is a better back up than a second comm. It will still work if you get loss of power.

I’ve a yaesu with some headset plug in adapter and it works a treat.

Yaesu FT-750 Spirit GPS.

8,33 handheld with GPS, and even VOR/ILS.
It has a headset connector.

Poland
Sign in to add your message