Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

What makes a really crisp clear TX/RX radio installation?

Good tip @Navygm

Thanks!

Buying, Selling, Flying
EISG, Ireland

No need to ground the tape to airframe, because if you do that, you’re basically making the tape useless, as you’re using the same grounding from where the interference is coming from!
the tape has like a metal mesh in it, so you isolate the wiring in a sort of cage.
There is some light tape available, its like high speed tape but with mesh in it. Below is the link of what I’m referring to.. Its the same tape we use to shield Airbus wiring terminations.

3M tape

Last Edited by Navygm at 01 May 17:15
LMML

as you’re using the same grounding from where the interference is coming from!

Not sure I agree with that being the reason why it works

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Not really aviation, but… I have a 1950s valve radio at home for occasional long wave (Radio 4 or France Inter). It used to struggle with interference, which I tracked down to the power cable, so I re-wired it with some CY shielded cable which made a considerable difference. I also tried a ferrite, a discrete earth connection, and a large external aerial, but to surprisingly little effect. The biggest source of the interference was the plug-in power supplies for the internet router and cordless phone: might try putting some shielding around these.

I fly a plane with an unshielded intercom and after a while the background noise gets annoying (transponder, anticol, nav lights, alternator), so can sympathise.

EGHO-LFQF-KCLW, United Kingdom

Capitaine wrote:

The biggest source of the interference was the plug-in power supplies for the internet router and cordless phone: might try putting some shielding around these.

Switched mode power supplies like the ones you mention or in computers, etc. often operate at switching frequencies between 50 and 150 kHz (sometimes even higher up to 500kHz). That happens to be exactly in the spectrum of long wave radio.

Last Edited by Malibuflyer at 21 Oct 08:33
Germany

Don’t forget ADSL/VDSL (where it is delivered by overhead phone lines) when it comes to noise. Fibre to the premesis can’t come soon enough here; VDSL makes all the HF amateur bands so noisy I can only use them for digital modes.

If your router shows the spectrum of the VDSL signal like mine does, you’ll notice it goes from a few kHz up to about 7MHz (at least mine does, my phone line is underground, but some of my neighbours have theirs delivered from a pole). VDSL/ADSL delivered over ancient copper of dubious origin from a telephone pole may also be a source of noise for your long wave radio.

Andreas IOM

All these things have harmonics which can go all the way up to the VHF band and beyond. The fundamental frequency is barely relevant.

However, interference is a separate issue from having simply poor audio performance. I am currently trying to solve this which most people would definitely classify under “poor audio”. It isn’t a serious issue when flying (basically because most ATC / aircraft audio is of barely usable quality ) but it is irritating when one is trying to sort out a decent sound track for a movie.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
17 Posts
Sign in to add your message