Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

C172 wing to fuselage clearance/play

Raven wrote:

The severity depends on the windshield either being sealed to to ceiling or left “floating”.

Bear in mind that the windshield is designed to float in its mounting. That is so that the plexiglass does not carry any of the shear load of the fuselage flexing as you see. If the windshield is “sealed” to the fuselage so as to seem to prevent this relative motion, that relative motion of the flexing fuselage will transferred to the plexiglass itself, which is certainly not designed to carry those loads. This could result in a cracked windshield.

If the fuselage was found by inspection to be fine, that’s great, there is no need to seal in the windshield. But if the windshield shifting is a concern, sealing it in, other than by Cessna procedures, is not the solution.

It is noteworthy that a few replacement windshields on Cessna 185’s are bolted to the fuselage across the top as a part of their design. However they certainly float at the bottom (as my 150 does a little). But 185’s are typically cross braced as well….

Home runway, in central Ontario, Canada, Canada

Pilot_DAR wrote:

Bear in mind that the windshield is designed to float in its mounting

You are 100% right. In no circumstances are we going to “block” it from moving.
The initial question was if the plane is OK. And it is. In fact every C172 and 182 has floating windshield.
I just wanted to confirm that due to my limited experience with that type.
Thanks!

Poland

Raven wrote:

The initial question was if the plane is OK. And it is. In fact every C172 and 182 has floating windshield.

Yes, all 172/182’s have a floating windshield. However, for my considerable experience with them, what I see in that video is much too much flex in the doorpost frames, I still question if that plane is okay. I suggest that plane should have a really thorough inspection in that entire area, something is not as secure as it should be.

Home runway, in central Ontario, Canada, Canada
13 Posts
Sign in to add your message