Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

TB10 Autopilot options

I would check which autopilots were certified by Socata for your airframe S/N and then use this route to install it.

As you can see from that thread, not everybody agrees, but basically installing something which was factory-certified should be a simple procedure.

AP installation is a lot of work and needs a lot of expertise which is extremely rare in the European avionics scene. If you need to fabricate the servo mounts, it is likely to be a really problematic job. You really want to obtain those from somewhere – probably a scrapyard or US Ebay. If you are not N-reg, you will have some “fun”. I am not sure where this concession stands right now, but somebody will know. Transplanting autopilots is one of the hardest projects – not because it is hard but because the whole European scene is so anal about paperwork. And these parts are mostly not made anymore. STEC autopilots cannot be legally transplanted at all, IIRC – some previous threads – because STEC refuse to authorise the STC.

@wigglyamp ‘s one-time company used to do all this but I don’t think he is around anymore. A current option is Avionics Straubing in Germany but good luck with them; many have found them incredibly arrogant and difficult for communication, unless you are a valued client, prefererably from the same country. I’ve had some variously useless emails with them. But this is just today’s avionics scene, and this is why Garmin owns the show; they supply a package of boxes and paperwork and the installer doesn’t need to engage too many braincells, which is just perfect

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

greg_mp wrote:

fortunately, the seller seems to have very good relations with socata, and is going to ask the people he knows from there. I will update on this.

Updating this, the seller got the information from socata: ‘’les KAP 150 sont certifiés sur TB10, ce n’est pas un STC mais une certification interne voir supplément 9.8.1 au Manuel de Vol’’.
So It is certified and can be mounted. Finding someone to mount it is another story…

LFMD, France

greg_mp wrote:

‘’les KAP 150 sont certifiés sur TB10, ce n’est pas un STC mais une certification interne voir supplément 9.8.1 au Manuel de Vol’’.

Great. I thought so.

greg_mp wrote:

So It is certified and can be mounted. Finding someone to mount it is another story…

Straubing can do it. If you want, I can also ask Avionitec in Zurich. And I am sure there are other avoinic shops who can. It’s 30 year old technology and a very common and reliable AP.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

With the manuals, one can do it, but the paperwork (installing a secondhand autopilot) will be fun.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Actually Pontoise Aero Maintenance may do it, will see with them – once I’ll get a plane :P.
Looking at the KAP150 paperwork, it"s a sysem working either with King DG/HSI and AI (either electric or vacuum driven), and the AP seller doesn’t have the AI, only HSI with flux gate. If you don’t have the full system, it will not work.
The other solution is to plug a double G5 to drive it.

Last Edited by greg_mp at 20 Jun 16:21
LFMD, France

KAP 100 series autopilot comes with a top and a bottom adapter module specific to the aircraft type.

You need to check which adapter module needs to be fitted to the KAP150 for a TB10.
TB10 and TB20 modules might be different. I don’t have the documentation for TB aircraft.

Some more investigations on this led me to learn that apparently, Garmin has no STC for TB10 and TB9 relative to the GFC500.
KAP150 and 225 are factory equipped, I have no idea for the KAP140, I can’t be sure but I think I have seen it once…

LFMD, France

greg_mp wrote:

Garmin has no STC for TB10 and TB9 relative to the GFC500.

Not currently, although they do have the TB20/21. Current STC and AML here: FAA_STC_SA01866wi_54_pdf

Avionics geek.
Somewhere remote in Devon, UK.
28 Posts
Sign in to add your message