Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Panel overhauls - regrets

Thanks Snoopy,

only we were thinking of doing this now that the engine will be out for major work anyway….

Any experience with the smaller gauges?

Basically I see two of them, which fit.

Insight G1 or G2 (The G1 with carb heat option would be ok, but I understand it does not log data? So it would have to be the G2

Or the JP EDM 700 or similar.

What I need is a BASIC analyzer which can be used to satisfy the trend monitoring requirements of the FOCA for TBO extension. Plus what I absolutely want is Carburettor temperature, if possible in a meaningful display (either colour coded or with a bar display)

What I can not afford, as nice as it is, is to replace the whole engine panel with a single screen, as those are way out of budget (3-4 k or so?).

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

4.5, just for the unit (EDM900). Plus several thousand to install it.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Can FOCA really add trend monitoring as a requirement for TBO extension?
Switzerland might be different of course but an EU member state can not have such requirements.

ESSZ, Sweden

Fly310 wrote:

Can FOCA really add trend monitoring as a requirement for TBO extension?
Switzerland might be different of course but an EU member state can not have such requirements.

It is implied, not necessarily in writing. Fact is, that you have to prove to the FOCA that you do some sort of trend monitoring in order to get the extensions. Some do papers on their oil analysis and compressions, others have more elaborate things like analyzer readouts. Since 2014 this has not been an issue for me and now it won’t be either really as this only starts to be relevant after 2000 hrs (my engine has about 500 TSMOH) or 12 years (which would be in 2026, but will now be extended since we do take the engine to pieces).

Personally I like the idea to have a basic analyzer which can extract data, not only because it is a requirement but because it will tell you some stuff about the engine you can not really see otherwise. Also I have wanted a carb heat indicator since ever I got the plane, but don’t have the space.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

I totally agree that more data is great for an owner. I would like to have a good setup for ETM in all of my future airplanes.

ESSZ, Sweden

Mooney_Driver wrote:

Basically I see two of them, which fit.

Insight G1 or G2 (The G1 with carb heat option would be ok, but I understand it does not log data? So it would have to be the G2

Or the JP EDM 700 or similar.

I like the G3 for its price and from emailing back and forth with the company (good response time). The G2 doesn’t do RPM… pointless. FAA STC only so EASA one off required. Primary only for EGT/CHT.

I don’t like JPI EDM because their logs are in a weird proprietary .jpi file format and that’s a hassle compared to simple use anywhere .csv files. (You can convert .jpi to .csv using a software from JPI, but it’s also a hassle).

I would also throw the EI CGR30* into the ring. EASA validated STC. Can (apparently) act as primary for RPM, EGT/CHT, Fuel Flow, Volts, OAT.

And of course the GI275* which also allows to replace your primary analogue engine gauges (check STC).

*for those two I can hook you up for trend monitoring.

always learning
LO__, Austria

The EDM file format has been reverse engineered and the source for a parser is out there somewhere. However IMHO the biggest issue with the EDM is that it is a 1970s/1980s design (well, like a lot of avionics) and it has very little storage, some 10-20hrs only, so if you don’t download it often, you just lose much or most of the engine record. Also the download method is primitive.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

The EDM file format has been reverse engineered and the source for a parser is out there somewhere.

The JPIHack was (is?) hosted on a geocities website and not supported. Probably needs Windows 98 to work?

One can get CSV using JPI EZTrends but it’s an extra annoying step.

always learning
LO__, Austria

The C source is there and you could compile it into a fresh executable.

Yes the CSV export is a hassle and poorly done (no batch mode for example) but one could automate that. Ask on freelancer.com – it is full of people who are offering to write that kind of stuff, among website scraping etc I’ve just got a CRC32-append executable done for USD 30 by some guy in the USSR.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Snoopy wrote:

Primary only for EGT/CHT.

Which aircraft has a primary instrument for EGT/CHT? I know some types that have a primary TIT, but have not seen a primary EGT/CHT yet…

Germany
Sign in to add your message