Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

AHRS loosing alignment on (firm) landing

Do you (or FI/FE who fly) pull G1000 CB to simulate PFD failures? I had few random ones (on ground and good weather), see here, the problem was solved by new school guidnace: ‘PFD contrast’ or ‘big piece of paper’ to hide PFD+MFD

PS: the guy who used to pull that G1000 CB end up diverting to iSouthend with 2 fire trucks after a fiasco in London airspace (Captain Ahab went with his whale )

Last Edited by Ibra at 19 Apr 13:09
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

pull G1000 CB to simulate PFD failures

How do you turn off/on PFD/MFD when upgrading G1000 nav database?

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Emir wrote:

How do you turn off/on PFD/MFD when upgrading G1000 nav database?

Maybe it’s different when you do it on the ground inside the hangar vs during unusual attitudes at 150kts

It could be that G1000 CB in PCV aircraft is getting twitchy?

Last Edited by Ibra at 19 Apr 13:23

It could be that G1000 CB in PCV aircraft is getting twitchy?

I don’t know. I’ve read few times that pulling CB is not recommended, yet I hate to turn off and on master switch and that’s the only way to turn off/on PFD/MFD alternate to CB. Knowing few things about electronics, I’m pretty sure that master switch causes more stress to the components than CB. Moreover, CAT crews use CBs to reset some spurious errors in different components. However, I might be wrong.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

I was more inclined to think regular AHRS alignments relate to glitches in acceleration, manometer, 3D attitude or GPS position
Pulling CB (or lose CB connection) while aircraft is moving could be the cause of the issue?

Last Edited by Ibra at 19 Apr 14:23

Ibra wrote:

PS: the guy who used to pull that G1000 CB end up diverting to iSouthend with 2 fire trucks after a fiasco in London airspace (Captain Ahab went with his whale )

Sounds like there’s a story here…

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Airborne_Again wrote:

This doesn’t really sound like your problem.

My AHRS firmware is 3.02 and G1000 software actually 0563.26, so probably not.

Ibra wrote:

Do you (or FI/FE who fly) pull G1000 CB to simulate PFD failures?

No we don’t.
As for database updates, I only use Master switch and Avionic switch. I don’t manipulate the CBs.
Though, we could check the AHRS breaker, as a bad contact could come from here ?

Last Edited by PetitCessnaVoyageur at 19 Apr 20:23

Though, we could check the AHRS breaker, as a bad contact could come from here ?

That is what happened in our case, the bad contact was from AHRS CB

Glad we don’t pull FADEC CB for PFL exercises

ADC and AHRS are powered by the same breaker, and are simultaneously connected to Essential Bus and Avionic Bus 1.
I don’t think CBs are the cause.

Last Edited by PetitCessnaVoyageur at 19 Apr 21:05

I had a lot of experience with this with a G500 retrofit eight years ago. While I had the plane at the Garmin dealer for some final software set up, two Garmin reps happened along for a visit in their Mooney. The Garmin dealer was exceedingly proud to show off our installation to the Garmin reps. The one Garmin rep looked longingly at the plane, turned to me and said: “I’ve never flown in a floatplane before……”. “Get In, I said”.

It was a brilliant day, with a modest breeze. I took off the runway, and landed in a local lake I new well. I shut the plane right down on the water, We sat for a few minutes, chatting, and enjoying nature. Then I said, “watch this…” as I switched on the Master…. “AHRS ALIGN – KEEP WINGS LEVEL” appeared on the screen. I turned to the Garmin rep, and asked how I was to do this with the plane bobbing in the waves…. He replied: “We never thought of that!”.

The on the water start ups didn’t really seem to bother the AHRS, and it was never a problem. I did a few rough water landings, and it did not seem bothered.

Home runway, in central Ontario, Canada, Canada
Sign in to add your message