Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Aircraft weighing

I think the regs on this vary, and I recall reading that EASA-reg planes need to be weighed every few years.

Anecdotal reports suggest that most people find their plane is a LOT heavier than the W&B schedule in their POH, especially if this is the first weigh after they bought it from somebody else.

Under FAA rules, AIUI, any mod under 2lb (say 1kg) does not trigger a change to the W&B schedule. But bigger stuff should.

I recall that a respray makes a re-weigh mandatory.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Yes, under EASA airplanes have to be weighed every 4 years. Maintenance work can trigger a W&B change, I got one for all my avionics jobs. Luckily the weight has always gone down because I replaced ancient mechanical stuff by modern electronics.

My aircraft was weighed last year, of course I removed just about everything I could and the estimation of the unusable fuel in the tank was done aehm... correctly. No surprises really, it's amazing how heavy 1970s avionics were compared to today's. Still have 600kg usable load and the only time I took off aehm.. at MTOW was with 150l of fuel and half o my workshop in the cabin.

Weighing on regular basis is not applicable in all EASA countries.
1kg… wonder how much weight we gained during the christmas holiday season.
/Sam

Yes, indeed. Routine re-weighing every four years (like on the D-reg.) is totally ridculous.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany
4 Posts
Sign in to add your message